oil pan removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil pan removal

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
abranz

oil pan removal

I'm planning on a timing chain, oil pan and rear main seal job on my 93 5.2 and wondering if anyone has tips on this project? In particular removing the oil pan. Many thanks, Tony

Unread 03-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
topjoe

Tip #1 drain oil first makes it alot easier but ya I dont no what else you want to hear other then removing the bolts on the pan to drop it haha
1996 Jeep ZJ - ARB BULL BAR, K&N Intake, MSD Ignition Wires,Hippo Lined Interior, IPF 6" lights on the Bullbar, JKS Swaybar Quick Disconnects , 3 1/2 Rubicon Express Super Flex, 2" coil spacers in the front,33" Super Swamper TSL's
topjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Pull the motor. Easier really.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Ds4x4
1996 ZJ 

theres other posts on dropping the pan.. some have said the exhaust gets in the way... best thing is to crawl under and plan out the drop a little before the time comes to actually do it..
OME Stab.; Rustys 2" BB + shocks, xtreme hi-lift, Kennesaw Rear MultiCarrier
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #15
Ds4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

There's no easy answer. The FSM talks about doing it when still in the vehicle, but that's at a shop with a lift and other specialty lifting/support tools to make the job easier.
For guys like me, it means putting the vehicle up on 4 jack stands, raising the motor up from the harmonic balancer to get enough clearance to slide the pan out and then getting the work done.

If your doing the timing chain too, I think I would consider pulling the motor just because you are already moving stuff out of your way to get to the timing chain.

If there's really nothing wrong with the pan and the rear seal isn't loosing lots of oil, I'd just do the timing chain... but I don't know the situation.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
abranz

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific in my questions. Just wanted to know if the pan could be removed without lifting or removing the engine. Tony
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

You must do the oil pan gasket when replacing the timing set because the timing cover must come off. I just hit this wall after blowing a timing cover gasket. And I have a seeping rear main seal, which is a bear to do when on your back. The harmonic balancer needs to come off too, so you need to pull the radiator to keep from mangling it. After careful thought, the motor comes out this weekend.
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranz
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific in my questions. Just wanted to know if the pan could be removed without lifting or removing the engine. Tony
The answer is yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.