Oil Pan Gasket - Labor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Pan Gasket - Labor

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 06-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
JeepMax

Oil Pan Gasket - Labor

Hi,

I need a new oil pan gasket installed since the front silicone expanded and is leaking slightly. I would like to have this done professionaly. A mechanic I called quoted me ~$200 for this job. I know taking off the oil pan is a little more complex than other vehicles, but I still think this is outrageous.

Any ideas what would be reasonable for this job? Looking at it I would guess this could be done in less than an hour by a pro, but maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks!

Unread 06-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
seth586

Usually you need to remove the exaust downpipes from the headers (at least on my V8), so it can be a lengthy job. I plan on regasketing my oil pan next time I get my exaust done.
seth586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
JeepMax

Mine is a '99 WJ with the I6. I don't see the exhaust pipes being in the way. (?)
Unread 06-17-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
seth586

Well then, it sounds pretty expensive. If I were you I'd put some cardboard down and do it myself. They quoted you that price because there are people that don't know how to do this stuff and will pay for it to be done. Even if it is a simple bolt off/on job.
seth586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

$200 sounds about right.

$20 for the gasket, and 3 hours of labor at $60 an hour.

Once again you have to remember, the mechanic go by "the book" when it comes to labor. So if the book says it takes 3 hours to do the job.. thats what they will charge you. Even if it only takes him 2 hours.

Only alternative to not paying shops is to do it yourself.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
JeepMax

Thanks - I'll shop around and let you know how much I end up spending. (I'm not too crazy about doing this myself - I don't even have a garage)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.