oil overfill...consequences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil overfill...consequences?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 10-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

oil overfill...consequences?

So we took our 1996 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 I6, to PepBoys for an oil change and get some new shocks. They took forever, but finally got it done. I had forgotten to check the oil after it was done just thinking that they would do it right. But I remembered a few days later and sure enough they overfilled it. They said they put 7 quarts in which I thought was alot for the 4.0 engine (and the oil change cost $40 because they used 7quarts!), but anyway, what could happen to the engine? Its our only car so we cant afford to have it break down. I would think it might blow a seal maybe, but I sure hope not, and the oil pressure levels looked about the same from what I noticed. We are gonna take it back because they also never gave us our free tire rotation(not getting our business again though), but is it ok to drive to church and take it there after, or should it not be driven? Thanks alot yall.

daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
KWAG

I dont know your situation but get under there and do your own oil change. If its overfilled its probably smoking because its burning oil. To much oil will whip the excess oil and prevent the engine from being properly lubricated thus your putting a lot of stress and heat on your crank.

1969 Camaro z28 clone
2007 Commander
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
jamaicanmecrazy
1994 ZJ 

You will be posting again when you have an oil pan leak and the rear seal.

Would you really feel safe if they rotate your tires?
After all they can't do oil changes right.
jamaicanmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Don't take anything to PepBoys. You could have changed the oil yourself, with a quality filter (PepBoys uses Pennzoil, that's stuff is sludge even before it's in your engine) for ~$25.

For now just pull the drain plug and let a quart of oil drain out.
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
jack9580
2004 WJ 

i would go drain my oil fill it back up with a good oil and then go to pepboys with documents for how much oil the jeep should take and demand my money back for the whole oil change since you cant really just drain a quart of oil to correct the problem.
and if you dont want to do it yourself go to the dealer get the oil changed again and still get your money back from pepboys
2004 WJ limited w/4.7 H.O. Addco rear bar, JK Rubi wheels
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/...panel-1331160/
jack9580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

DRAIN IT SAVE IT Request refund or a Comp Ticket or something dont let em off easy.

get the guy who filled it with 7Qt's fired 2
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Katesdad

The local dodge/jeep dealer filled my 4.0 with 7qts. I didnt know it for 2000 miles nothing bad happened and it never smoked. It only had 24,000 miles at the time. Thats when we started doing most of the maintenance on it. The guy was a complete jerk at the dealer service department, never went back.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
stockline19
1994 ZJ 

ok, picture yourself running on a beach (kinda metaphoric, stick with me) ok, running on a beach right? legs are free, you can run as fast as you want, no problemo.

ok now picture yourself running in about knee deep water, your using the smae amount of energy but the water sourrounding your legs keeps you from running very well.

this is what your engine is like when theres to much oil in the pan, the crankshaft is your legs and everytime they come down they try to "run" through the oil, creating excess drag that is not supposed to be there.

you are only a quart over, so i dont think there should be any immediate damage but definatly get a refund.
stockline19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #9
sandman
1993 ZJ 

when i do my oil it usually takes like 6.5 quarts. i say your fine, i wouldnt worry about it.
Unread 10-27-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

I had a heck of a time trying to get walmart to put six quarts in my ford truck...

as for the extra oil in the jeep , I wouldn't worry about it...

If you do drain some out by yourself .... do it while the engine is cold... that way the hot oil won't burn your hand. thus you may be able to drain just a quart... instead of the whole pan, because the hot oil made you drop the plug.
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Well thanks for all the help yall. The jeep has been running fine, oil pressures are normal, and hasn't been running hot at all so Im not really worried about it anymore. Im also thinkin that they probably just rounded the 6.5 quarts to seven on the bill. So I think Im good but PepBoys definately wont be working on my jeep again. Thanks again.

Ben
Unread 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daufuskieraised View Post
Well thanks for all the help yall. The jeep has been running fine, oil pressures are normal, and hasn't been running hot at all so Im not really worried about it anymore. Im also thinkin that they probably just rounded the 6.5 quarts to seven on the bill. So I think Im good but PepBoys definately wont be working on my jeep again. Thanks again.

Ben
have you checked the oil level on the dipstick? that is what that counts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Yea, that was how I figured it out that it was overfilled. It was in the "do not overfill" section right past the "safe" section.haha. I stupidly forgot to check the oil myself after the change, until a few days later. Further putting myself at ease that it is ok though, because it has been driven for about a week now. And no problems.
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
ajmorell

Take it back there and tell them what they did. Do not drain it or you won't have any proof they overfilled it. Stand there and watch them drain it....all of it! Then demand they do it correctly AND refund your money!
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Just take it back and ask them to do it correctly. Explain your situation, but if you get extremely upset they will not be willing to help you even if you are 100% in the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
DRAIN IT SAVE IT Request refund or a Comp Ticket or something dont let em off easy.

get the guy who filled it with 7Qt's fired 2
Yes Josh, let's fire someone over a single quart of oil that has not done any damage that we know of.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.