Oil Loss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Loss

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG4th of July Military Discount! (Active: July 2 - 16, 2014)Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 04-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
jeeper31
2008 WK 

Oil Loss

My 2000 GC seems to be losing oil. Had oil changed about 2200 miles ago and just added about 4 1/2 quarts. I don't see ay dripping and no puddles on the floor. This is not the first timeI had to add oil. Any ideas?

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (Black)
HEMI Club Member #4
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

You were 4.5 courts low??? That quite a bit. Your oil capacity is only six courts... you were missing quite a bit.

Check to make sure your oil pan plug is tight. Might want to check your oil filter to.

What does your exhaust look like? (smoke)

It is hard to believe that you have lost 4.5 quarts and you don't see any puddles...
Maybe the genious who changed your oil didn't put the right amount in...

Good luck

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
jeeper31
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
You were 4.5 courts low??? That quite a bit. Your oil capacity is only six courts... you were missing quite a bit.

Check to make sure your oil pan plug is tight. Might want to check your oil filter to.

What does your exhaust look like? (smoke)

It is hard to believe that you have lost 4.5 quarts and you don't see any puddles...
Maybe the genious who changed your oil didn't put the right amount in...

Good luck
Plug and filter are both good. I have been having this problem for awhile. This is not the first time that I have lost oil. Seems to be pretty consistent. I am getting smoke out of the exhaust. Seems white but maybe a bluish tint. Can't tell was looking at it with blacktop background.
HEMI Club Member #4
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Man am I am idiot! courts of oil? I think I meant QUARTS!! Wow... I can't believe I did that...

Anyway... that bluish tint you mentioned sounds like your burning it... How is your engine running? I'm surprised that something hasn't happened from such a low oil level.

So it has happened before with this much loss of oil?

And your SURE nothing is on the ground or on other engine components... It amazes me that this many QUARTS (there I got it right ) are missing with no real sign of where it is going!

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
01grander

Man that really sucks especially something that newish. Sounds like your eventually going to need to get a rebuilt engine or even better bore that one out and put new pistons and seals. With that much being lost im assuming the worst but usually at that point something definetly went wrong with that engine. Sometimes you can get gunk around the piston rings and or other spots but even isuzu troopers which had that problem w/ not enough oil drainers? only burned 1-2 quarts every 1000. The problem w/ that much being burned off is that it usually starts effecting everything else and soon you have lots to be fixing. Thats just my experience w/ my first car but i hope that its nothing bad. Maybe try some seafoam or mopar cleaner to clean the pistons if their built up and gunk is blocking the oil from where its supposed to be draining. If you suspected it being a blue color to it then its definetly burning oil i know from experience w/ my first POC hyundai!
Plenty of Hellas.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Blue/black/dark gray smoke = burning oil
Large plumes of black smoke under acceleration can be caused from worn piston rings and elliptical cylinder wall profile instead of a parallel profile.

White smoke = burning water/anti-freeze: and many times one can smell a sweet scent from the exhaust. The sweet scent will be the ethylene glycol. This is usually a blown head gasket.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
jeeper31
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Blue/black/dark gray smoke = burning oil
Large plumes of black smoke under acceleration can be caused from worn piston rings and elliptical cylinder wall profile instead of a parallel profile.

White smoke = burning water/anti-freeze: and many times one can smell a sweet scent from the exhaust. The sweet scent will be the ethylene glycol. This is usually a blown head gasket.
I did notice water dripping out of the exhaust. Does this mean anything?
HEMI Club Member #4
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would just double check and make sure you don't have a double gasket on your oil filter.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
jeeper31
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy147
I would just double check and make sure you don't have a double gasket on your oil filter.
What's the best way to check...Change oil? I don't think that is tit though. I have changed the oil many times since theproblem started. The last oil change the mechanic said the filter was leaking. I assume he would check for a double gasket.
HEMI Club Member #4
Unread 04-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31
What's the best way to check...Change oil? I don't think that is tit though. I have changed the oil many times since theproblem started. The last oil change the mechanic said the filter was leaking. I assume he would check for a double gasket.
I misunderstood, I thought the problem just started with the last oil change. If you want to check it though, take off the oil filter, there should be 1 rubber gasket either stuck in the filter, or possibly stuck to the filter housing, if there is one on both you have found your problem.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Water is a side product of combustion and is always present. The vapor condenses as it cools in the exhaust and drips out the weep hole at the bottom of the muffler and at the tail pipe. No worries.

If you simply plug a spark plug and see if it is oily-wet, then this would eliminate the possibility of the piston rings being bad.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
jeeper31
2008 WK 

Changed plugs pretty recetnly and seemed ok.
HEMI Club Member #4
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #13
01grander

Well i mean it seems like you clearly burning it up but id take it by a mechanic to see if its an easy fix or what. 4.5 quarts just doesnt disapear and nothings leaking so you must be burning it, all you can do is hope for the best.
Plenty of Hellas.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.