Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Oil level sensor question (ZJ)

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  wlmuncy 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 93 Grand Cherokee laredo. When I bought the car the display read oil level sensor bad. Replaced it and it went away. Well the warning is back now and it comes on almost all the time now, but occasionally doesn't come on. :brickwall

Do I need to reset the computer or could it be something wrong with my wires to the sensor?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Brandon

*edit* I did search for this and did not find anything that helped

#2 ·
This is not a problem that comes up very often, due to the limited number of Jeeps with this function.
First, are you sure your oil level is correct?
If it is a little low, the oil in the pan can uncover the sensor when you are in a turn (right hand turn IIRC). If the light is coming on when the vehicle is sitting level and not moving, and the oil level is correct, then the problem may be in the sensor (even though you put in a new one). Or in the connector at the sensor, or in the wiring itself. The only way to know for sure is to physically trace out the wires and test the sensor itself.
As an option, you could put a resistor in the circuit so that the light doesn't come on ever again. However, this would require you periodically check the oil level yourself (not necessarily a bad thing).

HTH :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Thanks for your info!

My oil level is fine. I've made it a habit to check my oil level very frequently. And it comes up on the visual display down by the shifter. Like I said above there are times when it doesn't even show up at all while i'm driving the vehicle.

By the way it is a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L I6 to be specific.

Any other thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated as i'm very new to this vehicle and want to learn as much as I can. This site helps greatly also.

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

#4 ·
my oil sensor comes on a lot when it gets around 1/2 - 3/4 low.... this is most due to parking on inclines.... the convience store that I visit alot, lot has just enuf slope when it in that range, to turn the sender... but i mostly ignore it when I go to that store ... the only time that i do check it is when i have around 2500 miles on an oil change... cause by then it is usually getting low

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.