Oil level LOW! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil level LOW!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
coolest_Stan

Oil level LOW!

Well I think my car is eating oil. Because my LCD screen says that I need to check the oil level in my jeep. DOes this mean my jeep is eating oil? is this common among older jeeps or does it mean something is wrong? Can I just add oil to my engine? or do I need an oil check, and repalce all the old oil?

also, for the past few weeks, the little picture of my car on the LCD scren had this red box flashing in the hood (usually meants something needs to be checked under the hood), but sometimes it woiuld appear, and sometimes it would not, so I jsut ignored this. IS it ok to just ignore it? I think its ok because it only flashed and didn;t say anything, like check oil level. But now, after a few weeks, it finalyl says check oil level. So I think that was the problem.

New Coolant Resevoir Cap
Current Projects:
coolest_Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Walk out and lift the hood and pull the little engine oil dipstick out and wipe it off, then repeat and see where the level is. If it's down in the add area, then add oil.

It's quite common for an older vehicle to burn oil, but depending on how much may be signs of a bigger problem. Are there any puddles of oil under the Jeep?

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Its also common for them to leak only when under load, like when driving, so you don't find a drip or puddle in your driveway until it gets worse.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Those are good recommendations.

Coolest, crawl under your jeep and check out the oil pan. Take a spanner or an small adjustable wrench and see if your oil drain plug is tight. Not too tight but tight. Also, visually check that it isn't damaged in any way.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
Royalty

i have the same problem, but i assure you that i am leaking no oil.

Is there some sort of sensor that tells if i am low on oil.

If so what is it called, where cna i get it and where do i find it under the hood.

Its getting on my nerves
Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
goodolboy71

its probably the oil level sensor, i am betting both of you have 93's , its on the passenger side of the oil pan hump, takes like a 13/16 or 7/8 wrench, has 2 wires coming out. 40.00 sensor from Napa, change it next time you change your oil, or you cna serach and find out what kidna resister it takes to trick the computer to think your oil level is ok

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalty
i have the same problem, but i assure you that i am leaking no oil.

Is there some sort of sensor that tells if i am low on oil.

If so what is it called, where cna i get it and where do i find it under the hood.

Its getting on my nerves
We'll have to know year and engine before we can help you figure out where you sensor might be.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZJ
We'll have to know year and engine before we can help you figure out where you sensor might be.
no you dont.

One of your members is a mind reader goodolboy71 you the man! Ide rather fix it then trick my cpu for now. $40 isnt that too bad of a replacement cost.

Thanks alot.

'93- 4.0
Unread 01-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
Royalty

this is what advance auto says it looks like.
Unread 01-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
goodolboy71

thats it,,,just amke sure when you pull yours out it looks like that...mine was brokeoff, making me have to take off the oil pan and get the parts out....i think 93 and early 94's were the only one to have the oil sensor

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
coolest_Stan

i have a 93 i6, its in my sig. Ok i will check hte oil pan and stuff. WHen I check the dipstick its in the safe zone. the oil is kinda didrty though, and smelly. I kow its supposed to look like tea ( kind of clear). It is very dark and opaque. Time for an oil change?
New Coolant Resevoir Cap
Current Projects:

Last edited by coolest_Stan; 01-31-2006 at 02:15 PM..
Unread 01-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolest_Stan
Time for an oil change?

Yes.
Unread 01-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #13
Royalty

Stan i have to assume this is your first car.

THe oil should smell...like oil. It shouldnt stink or smell burned. It should be kinda goldish, almost the shade of the oil you put in a deep fryer.

If its dark its def time for an oil change. do the filter as well as the oil when you change it.
The manual says 5w30 so ide go with that unless you have very high miles.
Youll need a 21mm wrench/socket to remove the lug on teh oil pan and about 2 gallons of oil to fill her back up.

If i'm wrong on anything please feel free to correct me yall
Unread 01-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

6 quarts is not 2 gallons. We've given him the first car treatment already.
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #15
coolest_Stan

uhhhh... ok i have all the tools I think, do I really need one of those strap wrenches to get the air filter off and to tighten it? Or can i just do that by hand?

and where would I dump the dirty oil?

and after I drain out all the oil, do I wash the inside out with water? Or just put the plug back in and put the new oil in?\

and also, is it possible to do this without lifting my car? because I have no stands.

and how od I do it so the hot oil doesn;t come out on me right as I open the plug?
New Coolant Resevoir Cap
Current Projects:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.