Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

OIL LEVEL GAUGE, AIR BAG LIGHT & ABS LIGHT SHOWING ON DASHBOARD - WJ Model

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  babix0ashh 
#1 ·
99 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO 4.0

I posted a topic before regarding my ABS and AIR BAG light, but now my jeep is doing something new lol. The Oil level gauge on the dashboard goes down to 0 when I am stopped. When I drive it goes back up to 40. Just had an oil change today, thought maybe that was the problem, but it still continuing to go down to 0 when I am stopped. Everytime the needle goes down to 0, the check gauge indicator comes on.

And for those who have not seen my other post;

ABS light comes on and off occasionally

AIR BAG light comes on and off very frequently, more so when I hit the gas a little harder then normal, or when I make a hard turn.

I am wondering if these are all actual problems that need attention, or if something is wrong with the computer. Had a computer problem a little over a year ago, but had a completely new computer installed, paid $1000 for it.

The "DING" noise is really starting to drive me nuts because it keeps going off for all three issues lol, my dashboard looks like a christmas tree.
Your kindness in helping me figure this out is very much appreciated.
Thank you so much.

See less See more
#3 ·
My Oil gauge is doing the same thing. Its only when its really cold out and when the engine is cold. But i noticed yesterday my oil filter was leaking so i tightened it a bit and it hasnt done it since. But that was yesterday.

#4 ·
my 99 4.0 wj did this a few weeks back, at the worst time. I have had bad luck with zero oil pressure in past by burning up an engine that had the oil pump go out on it when I was told it was just the sending unit. So this time on our way out to a fall festival, I pulled into autozone and 30 minutes later i leave with a new sending unit screwed in. I just used a cresent wrench to pull the old one out in the parking lot and pop the new one in.

Now I read normal pressure again! Before it would read low at idle, and sometimes at startup would be almost pegged out on the high side. Cost me about 44 bucks. If I would have changed it and it still did not come up, I would be worried about oil pump. I figured it was my oil sender when I went to remove it as the black connector piece was turning inside the metal piece when I was trying to remove it.

The air bag light is probably your clockspring behind the steering wheel and you may just have a loose wire or some mud on a sensor underneith for the abs light.

#5 ·
thanks so much for everyone's relpy, i greatly appreciate it. I will look into all of these possible solutions. I was just praying it was not the computer because it was replaced once already lol. Thanks again, will post my results when the jeep is fixed. =)

#7 ·
Got some parts fixed. The Air bag light turning on and off was the clockspring going bad. Cost $211 to fix at the mechanic. Strangely enough, I had some other work done to the jeep such as a new front axel and new water pump, and the oil pressure guage has not droped to 0 since. I dont know what the issue was but it hasnt gone down to 0 since mid December. Strange huh? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.