Oil leak + pressure drop - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil leak + pressure drop

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Reply
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
mpzj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 24
Oil leak + pressure drop

So I noticed a small oil puddle under my jeep recently and i started looking around but couldn't find where the leak was coming from. I know its not from the filter or the drain plug. Also as I drove and the oil started to heat up, I lost some oil pressure. It usually stays pretty constant around 40psi but it drops to about 30-35. Every now and again I add some oil just to make sure that I'm in the safe zone.

Any Ideas?

mpzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
frank21054
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: odenton, md
Posts: 2
Sending unit might need to be replaced. I recently changed the oil and added an oil treatment additive. Pressure went from above 40 to about 2; 10 days later. Replaced the sending unit, and went back to normal.
frank21054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
mpzj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 24
Yeah It isnt dropping much and there is a leak somewhere because i see oil on the ground.
mpzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
cappedup
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carmel, New York
Posts: 71
If I could jump onboard this thread a sec.

My oil pressure has pretty much been a stable 20 since I bought the 96ZJ 4.0 GC Limited about 5 months ago.

Its done 250k and always had regular servicing.

It doesnt 'lose' oil as such, but there are 'weepy' bits that dont concern me too much. The dipstick level hasnt dropped much between changes.

It does a regular 15 miles twice a day, not much else.

is there a desired oil pressure reading for all Jeeps, or does it vary dependng on milage, wear etc?
cappedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
General_Jeep
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 434
Honestly it sounds like your Oil pressure sending unit burst. While I had my trans. dropped I decided to change it because that's where my oil leak was from. Its located behind the the distributor so with out the trans being dropped I'm going to guarantee you its a PITA to get out.
__________________
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8- NV3500 - Blown D35 8.8 replacement some day.
2010 Jeep Patriot 5 speed manual-- DD, 27-31MPG :D
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 - Work Truck/Plow 5.2L NV3500
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Midnightluckey
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX, Tx
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Jeep
Honestly it sounds like your Oil pressure sending unit burst. While I had my trans. dropped I decided to change it because that's where my oil leak was from. Its located behind the the distributor so with out the trans being dropped I'm going to guarantee you its a PITA to get out.
Not with the correct socket. Took me like 10 min from start to finish. Go to vatozone. They sell a special $6 socket for it.
__________________
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
cappedup
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carmel, New York
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappedup View Post
If I could jump onboard this thread a sec.

My oil pressure has pretty much been a stable 20 since I bought the 96ZJ 4.0 GC Limited about 5 months ago.

Its done 250k and always had regular servicing.

It doesnt 'lose' oil as such, but there are 'weepy' bits that dont concern me too much. The dipstick level hasnt dropped much between changes.

It does a regular 15 miles twice a day, not much else.

is there a desired oil pressure reading for all Jeeps, or does it vary dependng on milage, wear etc?
So, what do you fellas think? Is a reading of around 20 (psi?) acceptable? Are there upper and lower values for oil pressure?

You know, i've never had a vehicle with a oil pressure gauge, only low pressure light. If its not there, you can't worry about it!

Thanks.
cappedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
TheHalfWit
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappedup View Post
So, what do you fellas think? Is a reading of around 20 (psi?) acceptable? Are there upper and lower values for oil pressure?

You know, i've never had a vehicle with a oil pressure gauge, only low pressure light. If its not there, you can't worry about it!

Thanks.

Jeep specs say 13psi for 600 rpm, and when mines warmed up it usually idles around 17psi on that gauge but that gauge has a reputation for being inaccurate compared to a mechanical gauge.

75PSI is the max safe oil pressure, 13PSI is the lowest.
__________________
Calm. C.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
cappedup
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carmel, New York
Posts: 71
Ace, thanks halfwit. The OP says his is usually 40, so got me thinking.

Cheers.
cappedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.