Oil leak on 2002 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil leak on 2002 Grand Cherokee

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Mike D

Oil leak on 2002 Grand Cherokee

I recently purchased a 2002 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine. I noticed the passenger side of the engine was very dirty and greasy. I cleaned the engine and determined the oil leak was coming from the valve cover gasket. I replaced the valve cover gasket and after about 2 weeks I inspected the passenger side of the engine and there was a thin film of oil on the side of it. I determined the oil leak was coming from the area where the head bolts to the block. There is no other leaks of any kind. Anyone have this problem and corrected it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

My 4.0L leaked from the oil filter adapter. The o-rings dry out and shrink.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
cmonson

could have been a film from when the oil filter was replaced.

It could also just be your oil filter gasket. It would be VERY hard to leak oil between the head and the block. If you had an oil leak between the head and block, you would most likely also have a coolant leak between the head and the block. If that was the case, you would also have a bad head gasket...

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but monitor it. Oil leaks aren't the end of the world... Where there is an oil leak, there won't be any rust.

I just finished restoring an old camaro that had a bad rear main most of its life. The bottom of the car was drentched in oil. B/C of that, the bottom of the car had absolutely ZERO rust on the bottom side all attributed to an oil leak. I also coat the bottom of my grand cherokee with a small film of oil a couple of times before and during winter. My 10 year old salt belt driven vehicle has ZERO rust on the bottom side where most others that are 10 years old do...
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.