Oil Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Leak

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Oil Leak

While under the ZJ to install a new NSS I noticed oil covering my front diff. Unfortunately I was unable to see the source of the leak. It's definitely coming from above the diff & not the diff itself. The amount of oil looks like more than what might be a slight valve cover leak. There is no oil on the exhaust manifold. There is oil on the drivers side of block, below the manifold but I still can't find the source. Jeep runs fine. Crank case was at least 2 quarts low & my last oil change was with Mobil 1, 2500 miles ago. Anyone have ideas on a likely culprit?

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You sure it's motor oil? If not, check the power steering pump and lines.

Wild guess would be where the oil pan gasket meets the timing cover.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
check the power steering pump and lines.
Mine.

Leaks down the pitman arm/nut and the fan/wind coats the differential and sway bar with it.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Checked p/s pump while looking & all is good there. Replaced that in the last 8 months with a remaned Mopar after going through 2 bad Cardone pumps.

Unread 10-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Have you ever replaced the CCV elbows/grommets? Oil in the breather/air filter? That wouldn't explain the leak but it would explain the low oil level.

You say it's on the driver's side leaking onto the differential. That would lead me to believe it's transmission fluid. Both lines are directly above the axle. Check where the rubber lines attach with the crimp and check steel lines for seeping.

Let us know what you come up with.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Tranny fluid is at normal levels. The drivers side reference is to oil on the engine block below the exhaust man. & the area above the diff. It'll be a few days before I can get another look. Was off most of today but the rest of week is full. Going in now to remove a 1800# bronze of Larry Bird we put in the lobby for Pacers opening night.

Unread 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stageninja View Post
While under the ZJ to install a new NSS I noticed oil covering my front diff. Unfortunately I was unable to see the source of the leak. It's definitely coming from above the diff & not the diff itself. The amount of oil looks like more than what might be a slight valve cover leak. There is no oil on the exhaust manifold. There is oil on the drivers side of block, below the manifold but I still can't find the source. Jeep runs fine. Crank case was at least 2 quarts low & my last oil change was with Mobil 1, 2500 miles ago. Anyone have ideas on a likely culprit?
Are you positive its oil are you sure it wasn't from a leak you fixed
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

heh, I was about to start topic about oil... So, I'll ask here. I've changed oil 2k miles ago, and I put fully synthetic. It is all good, engine runs smooth, starts etc. Gauge shows pressure at 40psi (it is always there, sometimes a bit more, but never less). But Today I've checked oil with dipstick and... it was on ADD. Yet, gauge shows 40... So few questions: what is normal pressure? Is it 40psi or my gauge is lying? And what could have happened to oil? Does this engine burn oil?or it leaks? The thing is, driveway where jeep is always parked when I'm home is dry. No dripping whatsoever...
orvisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
JeepForever

I had some mystery leaks an found them by cleaning everything really well (brake & parts cleaner works well). My biggest leak was at the oil filter housing. It was fixed with a new gasket. It was hard to troubleshoot because the oil ran down below the engine and off of the transmission, but it was brown, so I knew it wasn't tranny fluid. This is worth checking since you lose oil while driving but not while parked. That would indicate that you lose oil under pressure and not just by gravity and sitting.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Dukcaln

start by a really good degreasing of the under carriage. Take your time and I bet you will find it. Let us know when you do. GL
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForever
I had some mystery leaks an found them by cleaning everything really well (brake & parts cleaner works well). My biggest leak was at the oil filter housing. It was fixed with a new gasket. It was hard to troubleshoot because the oil ran down below the engine and off of the transmission, but it was brown, so I knew it wasn't tranny fluid. This is worth checking since you lose oil while driving but not while parked. That would indicate that you lose oil under pressure and not just by gravity and sitting.
Oil pressure is good, consistent 40. The filter is on the opposite side of the apparent leak. I'm heading out for degreaser and will get under to have another look today.

Unread 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Leak found. It is the valve cover. Some oil is leaking from mid cover to rear. More importantly I found the tre connected to the pitman arm has a torn boot. Ordered replacement Moog from O'Rielly and when I picked up before going to work it was a Moog box but not a Moog part. The clerk ordered another for p/u tomorrow.

Unread 11-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Dukcaln

cool glad you found it. mine leaks from the valve cover, only a dime size over night if parked on a incline . Driver side.
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stageninja View Post
Leak found. It is the valve cover. Some oil is leaking from mid cover to rear. More importantly I found the tre connected to the pitman arm has a torn boot. Ordered replacement Moog from O'Rielly and when I picked up before going to work it was a Moog box but not a Moog part. The clerk ordered another for p/u tomorrow.
You can just replace the boot too if the TRE is in good shape.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
You can just replace the boot too if the TRE is in good shape.
Excellent idea. Tre is fine, I'll see if I can get just the boot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.