Oil filter from hell - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've seen some mechanics having good success with the Snap-on strap oil filter remover. Yeah, it can crush an oil filter but just move it up near the base and you can even use a pipe on your ratchet handle for leverage if need be.

Attached Images

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

^^ I've had mechanics recommend this as well. If you put a strip of sandpaper under the strap you can get a lot more grip too.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Thanks all for the help. I will try to break the seal the gasket has.

I also like the band type oil filter wrench. This thing they call an oil filter bent mine so now it's awkward to use and hard to torque.

Anyone know what size torx bit for the oil filter adapter? Might end up doing that.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using JeepForum

Matte Black '96 ZJ 4.0
IRO 3.5" Benchmark Lift, Bilstein 5100's, 31x10.5x15 Westlake SL369 A/T's, Moog Super Trail Boss SS, KOR Rad Support, Chopped-up Front Bumper
post #19 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Breaking/cutting the seal may be your best bet along with using a strap oil filter remover. But that Snap-on one w/the pic I posted seems waay too pricey at about $30.

Here's a write up removing the oil filter adapter and believe the Torx size is T60. I may have to double check that since I have a post in that thread where I said I used a T55. It's one tight fit, have a 96 4.0 just like yours, and removing the bit from the socket it comes with as posted below may be the best route.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...l#post14333953

Regardless, I had to use a big 10" pipe wrench with a pipe on the end to break the bolt loose. Tricky in not damaging the metal on the adapter next to the round bolt head in doing this. Also had to put heat to it but I didn't have an oil filter full of oil attached to it. Didn't matter if I might melt those o-rings, but they didn't, since had the Mopar 3 o-ring set from the dealer for only about $5. See the beginning of that thread for part number. Good luck!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #20 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Some of the oil filter adapters (like mine) use a 9/16 Allen head. I used a threaded rod coupler for 3/8 rod. It's just a 9/16 nut about an inch long. Put a 9/16 box end wrench on that and double wrenched it. Came right off.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Had this issue with with a 4.0 I rebuilt a few months ago. I took a flat head screw driver and pryed the base of the filter away from the filter adapter. Sprayed the oil filter base with PB Blaster and used a large pair of adjustable jaw pliers to spin it off.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

I use one of these puppies, along with an extension and breaker bar. Even then, I have to put some effort into it - the filter is usually on there tight.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.