Oil filter from hell - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil filter from hell

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've seen some mechanics having good success with the Snap-on strap oil filter remover. Yeah, it can crush an oil filter but just move it up near the base and you can even use a pipe on your ratchet handle for leverage if need be.

a91d.jpg

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

^^ I've had mechanics recommend this as well. If you put a strip of sandpaper under the strap you can get a lot more grip too.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #18
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Thanks all for the help. I will try to break the seal the gasket has.

I also like the band type oil filter wrench. This thing they call an oil filter bent mine so now it's awkward to use and hard to torque.

Anyone know what size torx bit for the oil filter adapter? Might end up doing that.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using JeepForum
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Breaking/cutting the seal may be your best bet along with using a strap oil filter remover. But that Snap-on one w/the pic I posted seems waay too pricey at about $30.

Here's a write up removing the oil filter adapter and believe the Torx size is T60. I may have to double check that since I have a post in that thread where I said I used a T55. It's one tight fit, have a 96 4.0 just like yours, and removing the bit from the socket it comes with as posted below may be the best route.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...l#post14333953

Regardless, I had to use a big 10" pipe wrench with a pipe on the end to break the bolt loose. Tricky in not damaging the metal on the adapter next to the round bolt head in doing this. Also had to put heat to it but I didn't have an oil filter full of oil attached to it. Didn't matter if I might melt those o-rings, but they didn't, since had the Mopar 3 o-ring set from the dealer for only about $5. See the beginning of that thread for part number. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Some of the oil filter adapters (like mine) use a 9/16 Allen head. I used a threaded rod coupler for 3/8 rod. It's just a 9/16 nut about an inch long. Put a 9/16 box end wrench on that and double wrenched it. Came right off.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Had this issue with with a 4.0 I rebuilt a few months ago. I took a flat head screw driver and pryed the base of the filter away from the filter adapter. Sprayed the oil filter base with PB Blaster and used a large pair of adjustable jaw pliers to spin it off.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #22
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I use one of these puppies, along with an extension and breaker bar. Even then, I have to put some effort into it - the filter is usually on there tight.
oil-wrench.jpg

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.