Oil filter from hell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil filter from hell

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Oil filter from hell

I swear someone used an impact to put this thing on.

It bent my oil filter wrench.

I've tried:
The screw driver method
Bought oil filter pliers with some gnarly teeth on it
Soaking it in PB blaster
Tapping the edge with a hammer to loosen it

And then lastly I tried the screw driver method but with a 2 ft tire iron instead, it didn't even budge. Just tore the **** out of the sheet metal housing..

What the heck do I do?

Jaws of life?!

Unread 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

Make sure you're not trying to tighten it
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech22 View Post
Now lets hope you just didnt tighten the **** out of it.
xcaliber81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Them is fightin words!
Lefty loosey, righty tighty right? 4.0L with oil filter adapter..I'm turning it towards the drivers side, which is left. It's not reverse threaded right?
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Put a screw driver through it and use it as a handle
ninjastar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

^ I did that already, both with a screw driver and a BFTI (big effing tire iron)

Gonna try this razor blade method I just read about.
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

haha not tryin to fight it just sounded like you had already tried effective methods for removing it just wanted to throw that out there just in case. Not reverse threads. So looking from the top of the engine you are turning the filter towards the engine block and not the passenger side fender right?
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
haha not tryin to fight it just sounded like you had already tried effective methods for removing it just wanted to throw that out there just in case. Not reverse threads. So looking from the top of the engine you are turning the filter towards the engine block and not the passenger side fender right?
I was just messin with you hahah! Yeah I'm turning towards the block.

I gave up about an hour ago after losing a Torx bit for a MAP sensor. I think I'm just gonna take it in and let it be some grease monkeys problem, especially since she won't start and there are several other possible things wrong that I'm not trying to pull my hair out over.

Thanks for the help everyone
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Speaking of torx; take the whole oil filter adapter off put it in a vice and grind, dremil, chisel, beat, sawz-all, blast the dam oil filter off! Just don't damage the adapter itself. Lol. Seriously it would be easier to get to the oil filter with the adapter removed and your 96 4.0 o-rings are probably leaking anyway.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I know that feel when you just want to give up on an oilfilter.

Last year i was doing an oilchange on a volvo fh12 at work and those oilfilter were really tight on the engine.
It took 3 persons and 4 hours to get them off....
The ******* who put them on used the tool to get filters off to tighten them untill they stopped turning wich is way to much...

Cant you get in a knife, metallsaw or something in between the adaptor and filter and try to destroy the gasket? because thats whats holding on the filter.
After the gasket has been destroyed it will screw off easily.
Pierre_r is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Will9119
1996 ZJ 

I've always found that for some reason wearing carpentry gloves help me get the tough filters off. I guess its the grip or something. I had one once that wouldn't come off with the screwdriver method and the gloves worked.
Will9119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

take a rubber belt (serpentine or something similar)cut it and wrap it one time around the filter, have one person hold one end taunt and another pulling the other end. always works for me.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Funny until you've had one you can't get off .. You just feel like well just unscrew it..
... Many years ago I did an overhaul on a GTO.389 . I had the motor completely out of the car but fro some stupid I never removed the oil filter while building the motor. So I had my new motor all painted up and reinstalled everything hooked up.
Then I decide it's time to put on the new oil filter . I had every thing but the flat plate stripped off that filter before I got it loose. It took me longer to get the oil filter off than I'd spent reinstalling the motor. I think I finally used an air chisel to bump it loose.
... I can feel you pain.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

I hate stuck oil filters. I worked at Mobil 1 Lube Express for a few months and I swear some people did not lube the gaskets and freaking torqued the hell out of them when they put them on. My favorite oil filter wrenches to use on stuck ones was the band wrench because the harder you try to turn that thing the harder it grips down on the filter. They always seemed to work better for me than the other wrenches and pliers we had with the teeth on them for the really badly stuck filters.

It works on the same principle as the guy who told you about using an old serpentine belt to get it off.

edit: although I forgot about these things which worked pretty damn sweet on stuck filters too

98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've used the strap wrenches before and they work well. I've also had a filter on so tight that I hammered a long screw driver all the way through it and turned but it wouldn't budge, just ripped the sheet metal. I finally got it off by getting a small cold chisel and hammering it into the rolled seam near the gasket. You have to be careful not to cut into the oil filter adapter but it works like a charm. The hammer and cutting break the seal.

I love the KNN filters with the hex welded to the end.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.