JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Oil filter from hell (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/oil-filter-hell-1551388/)

zRoxxah 07-20-2013 01:23 PM

Oil filter from hell

I swear someone used an impact to put this thing on.

It bent my oil filter wrench.

I've tried:
The screw driver method
Bought oil filter pliers with some gnarly teeth on it
Soaking it in PB blaster
Tapping the edge with a hammer to loosen it

And then lastly I tried the screw driver method but with a 2 ft tire iron instead, it didn't even budge. Just tore the **** out of the sheet metal housing..

What the heck do I do?

Jaws of life?!

gmtech22 07-20-2013 01:38 PM

Make sure you're not trying to tighten it

xcaliber81 07-20-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtech22 (Post 15698773)

Now lets hope you just didnt tighten the **** out of it.

zRoxxah 07-20-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtech22 (Post 15698773)

Them is fightin words!
Lefty loosey, righty tighty right? 4.0L with oil filter adapter..I'm turning it towards the drivers side, which is left. It's not reverse threaded right?

ninjastar 07-20-2013 01:56 PM

Put a screw driver through it and use it as a handle

zRoxxah 07-20-2013 01:59 PM

^ I did that already, both with a screw driver and a BFTI (big effing tire iron)

Gonna try this razor blade method I just read about.

gmtech22 07-20-2013 02:49 PM

haha not tryin to fight it just sounded like you had already tried effective methods for removing it just wanted to throw that out there just in case. Not reverse threads. So looking from the top of the engine you are turning the filter towards the engine block and not the passenger side fender right?

zRoxxah 07-20-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtech22 (Post 15698948)
haha not tryin to fight it just sounded like you had already tried effective methods for removing it just wanted to throw that out there just in case. Not reverse threads. So looking from the top of the engine you are turning the filter towards the engine block and not the passenger side fender right?

I was just messin with you hahah! Yeah I'm turning towards the block.

I gave up about an hour ago after losing a Torx bit for a MAP sensor. I think I'm just gonna take it in and let it be some grease monkeys problem, especially since she won't start and there are several other possible things wrong that I'm not trying to pull my hair out over.

Thanks for the help everyone

Uniblurb 07-20-2013 03:51 PM

Speaking of torx; take the whole oil filter adapter off put it in a vice and grind, dremil, chisel, beat, sawz-all, blast the dam oil filter off! Just don't damage the adapter itself. Lol. Seriously it would be easier to get to the oil filter with the adapter removed and your 96 4.0 o-rings are probably leaking anyway.

Pierre_r 07-20-2013 03:57 PM

I know that feel when you just want to give up on an oilfilter.

Last year i was doing an oilchange on a volvo fh12 at work and those oilfilter were really tight on the engine.
It took 3 persons and 4 hours to get them off....
The ******* who put them on used the tool to get filters off to tighten them untill they stopped turning wich is way to much...

Cant you get in a knife, metallsaw or something in between the adaptor and filter and try to destroy the gasket? because thats whats holding on the filter.
After the gasket has been destroyed it will screw off easily.

Will9119 07-20-2013 05:28 PM

I've always found that for some reason wearing carpentry gloves help me get the tough filters off. I guess its the grip or something. I had one once that wouldn't come off with the screwdriver method and the gloves worked.

LoveHate 07-20-2013 05:41 PM

take a rubber belt (serpentine or something similar)cut it and wrap it one time around the filter, have one person hold one end taunt and another pulling the other end. always works for me.

papitt 07-20-2013 09:00 PM

Funny until you've had one you can't get off .. You just feel like well just unscrew it..
... Many years ago I did an overhaul on a GTO.389 . I had the motor completely out of the car but fro some stupid I never removed the oil filter while building the motor. So I had my new motor all painted up and reinstalled everything hooked up.
Then I decide it's time to put on the new oil filter . I had every thing but the flat plate stripped off that filter before I got it loose. It took me longer to get the oil filter off than I'd spent reinstalling the motor. I think I finally used an air chisel to bump it loose.
... I can feel you pain.

98GCLimited 07-20-2013 09:17 PM

I hate stuck oil filters. I worked at Mobil 1 Lube Express for a few months and I swear some people did not lube the gaskets and freaking torqued the hell out of them when they put them on. My favorite oil filter wrenches to use on stuck ones was the band wrench because the harder you try to turn that thing the harder it grips down on the filter. They always seemed to work better for me than the other wrenches and pliers we had with the teeth on them for the really badly stuck filters.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/imag...e/13961_1_.gif

It works on the same principle as the guy who told you about using an old serpentine belt to get it off.

edit: although I forgot about these things which worked pretty damn sweet on stuck filters too

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...lL._AA160_.jpg

zjosh93 07-20-2013 09:48 PM

I've used the strap wrenches before and they work well. I've also had a filter on so tight that I hammered a long screw driver all the way through it and turned but it wouldn't budge, just ripped the sheet metal. I finally got it off by getting a small cold chisel and hammering it into the rolled seam near the gasket. You have to be careful not to cut into the oil filter adapter but it works like a charm. The hammer and cutting break the seal.

I love the KNN filters with the hex welded to the end.

The time now is 10:44 PM.