Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #91
LouC
2007 WK 

It depends on how that surface was machined. Mine never had the adaptor 16 years 150,000 miles 40+ oil changes never had a filter leak. The adaptor may have been needed in the narrower YJ, TJ and XJ engine bays but in the ZJ absolutely not. Easiest oil filter to change in my 42 years of changing oil.

Unread 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #92
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

Lots of motors run with the filter screwed into the block.

The Chevy 250 six popper is one I've had a lot of experience with.
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #93
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Was just curious and guess I've owned Jeeps so long forgot many engines/filters don't use an adapter...

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #94
LouC
2007 WK 

Never seen one on any of the old school American cars we had :Chevy small block, Olds 350, Ford 302, Ford 460, Mopar 318, Ford 250 six. Same on my 4 cyl Japanese cars, it's actuall hard to think of one that has an adaptor type mount (modern Hemis have something similar and so did the original 426s). Why not take a good look at that machined surface, if it seals well enough for an o ring it should work for a filter seal.

Here you go OE installation, that adaptor, was a hold over from other installations, or maybe it made a bit faster to install the engine, but it is really NOT needed as you can clearly see....
051.jpg

Unread 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #95
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Update on my adpater removal. The stock sized (Puralator) oil filter ended up rubbing the motor mount and over the course of the past month or so, rubbed a hole/crack in the filter. I ended up buying the new seals at the dealer (~$8.48) yesterday as well as a new Mopar filter (~ $8.56) and put the adapater back on. Went on EXTREMELY easy (compared to taking it off!). The good news is that mysterious metal to metal squeak when turning and compressiong the suspension seems to have disappeared. So...if you are going to remove the adapter, definitely go with the smaller filter mentioned many times in this post.
Muddblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #96
LouC
2007 WK 

I have never had any clearance issues with either the Mopar filters or the approximately 35 Purolators I have installed over the 15 years worth of oil changes I have done to the ZJ. There is no need really for a longer filter on these, the engine holds 6-6.5 qts of oil as it is....
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #97
snippits
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the information in this thread because my oil filter adapter just started leaking on a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 with 260,000 miles.

I have not fixed it yet, but I am rounding up the parts to give it a go. I got the o-ring three piece set from my local Dodge dealership for $3.01 on sale plus tax. Regular price was $4.25. Mopar part number was 1-04720363.

From what I read about what wrenches I would need, I either needed a T60 torx or a 9/16 hex to take the adapter bolt off. After a trip by Northern Tool and Harbor Freight, my adapter bolt is a 9/16 hex bit.

Nobody in town that I could find carries the singles of the hex bit socket, but they all seem to carry the singles of the torx sockets, and the only way to get the 9/16 hex bit socket is to buy the whole set. HF had the hex bit set that went up to 5/8 for $13.99, but I would have to drive the bit out of the socket.

Checked Sears since I had a remaining balance of 5.75 on a gift card, and they did have the single 9/16 half inch drive hex bit socket, but it was not in stock, and it would have to be ordered. The Craftsman socket has the set screw, so I won't have to drive the hex bit out of the socket. It will be here early next week.

Norther Tool did have a Bondhus JUMBO Ball End Single L-Wrench 14mm, Model# BL 14mm that would fit the 9/16 hex, but the short part of the L-wrench would not fit because it was too long to fit because of the frame rail being to close to the adapter bolt.

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded on my first post. Just trying to get on the right track to fix the leak the right way.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #98
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

The trick to the 9/16 hex key is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a rod coupler for 3/8 threaded rod. They are basically a 9/16 nut about an inch long. Cost about $2. On my 93 there wasn't room to fit a hex socket in there any way. Stick the rod coupler in the oil filter adapter bolt, put a 9/16 box end wrench on it, add a lot of extra leverage and it should come right out.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #99
snippits
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
The trick to the 9/16 hex key is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a rod coupler for 3/8 threaded rod. They are basically a 9/16 nut about an inch long. Cost about $2. On my 93 there wasn't room to fit a hex socket in there any way. Stick the rod coupler in the oil filter adapter bolt, put a 9/16 box end wrench on it, add a lot of extra leverage and it should come right out.
Thank you for the tip on the coupler. Going to go and get one, and if it works I will just go to Sears and get a refund when the hex bit socket comes in. I was just going to take the short hex bit out of the socket, and then use a wrench on the hex bit. But I am all in for saving a buck. I can take the savings and go buy another Wix filter since I am trying to clean the sludge out of my old Jeep. Thanks
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.