Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 12-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #61
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Neat, so it's actually designed to come apart and reattach with the set screw?
Local garage might have one I can borrow for the job. Tx.
Yep, but its only really common on the 1/2" sockets from what I've seen. The 3/8" sockets are permanently attached to the torx bit.

No problem mate.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #62
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

I've got an old set of Snap-On Allen sockets. The all have set screws down to the 1/8" size. I haven't checked but I think most "quality" sockets use the set screws. Though I have seen some that use a "roll" or "spring pin" to hold the bit in.
Unread 02-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #63
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Good threads never die and thanks a bunch to "greasefingers" for the pics/instructions in the 1st post.

I installed new o-rings on the oil filter adapter on my 96 ZJ today. Still only paid $5 last week for the 3 o-ring kit (1 for the block and 2 for the bolt) at the dealer.

Wish I would have read this thread first before I decided to tackle the job. Had no idea it took a T60 torx to get the bolt off. But I stuck a T55 in the hole and noticed right away I would not have any room for a breaker bar or ratchet. So I ran upstairs and read the beginning of this thread. LOL.

I knew the bolt was going to be tight since hasn't ever been off in 16 years. Started pouring the PB Blaster too it and used a razor knife to clean the crack between the bolt and adapter. Could see the big Goodyear hose (1 1/4" OD) on the new AC filter/drier was going to be in the way so bungied it to the oil dipstick tube bracket.

Put a 10" Rigid pipe wrench on the bolt and a deep well impact socket with an extension on the end of the wrench. Had to be super careful since it wanted to turn into the soft aluminum off of the bolt head. Could not break it lose without making a mess out of the bolt head. More PB Blaster.

Took a thick wet rag and put it on the starter wire right under the adapter. Then put some heat to it with a propane torch but knew I couldn't get it very hot or would start melting the o-ring on the bolt.

Finally broke it loose, cleaned up the adapter, and installed the new o-rings. Could see right away the large o-ring on the bolt would have to be pulled in when tightening. Put a thin layer of grease on all the o-rings.

While a pipe wrench can be used to remove the bolt there is no way to tighten it with a pipe wrench since the adapter housing is in the way. Tightened the bolt as tight as I could with a pair of channel-locks while holding the adapter up against the block so the o-ring didn't pop out of the groove. Then torqued the bolt just a little more with a pair of vise-grips. I appears the bolt is as in the same position as when I removed it.

If I had it to do over again I would just get a T60 where you could remove the socket as others towards the end of this thread suggested. That would be great for putting a ratching box end wrench on it for tightening.

But I still don't think I would have been able to remove the bolt with a T60 end and a 12mm wrench on it. Bet I would have ended up having to use a pipe wrench with additional leverage as tight as the bolt was. The heat didn't hurt either.

Hopefully my oil leaks are gone from the oil filter adapter and now it's on to another valve cover gasket.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #64
sj0305
1995 ZJ 

sorta PITA, but not too bad - abt 1 1/2 hrs

....finally got bolt out and managed to break off the oil pressure sending module, in the process (back to the parts store). Somebody said they didnt appear to have a large O ring, in place when they took the unit off. Look at the re-installed configuration-u can see the new O ring. Guess over time, it just breaks away from brittleness and disappears and then thru heating and cooling and vibration, the bolt tightens and takes up the slack for the missing large O ring, becoming metal-to-metal contact. Probably why the adapter seems to be welded on. At any rate, one less leak!!!!! .....and a new oil pressure module!!!!
sj0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #65
sj0305
1995 ZJ 

....o yeah, thanks everyone for the narratives and outstanding pics!!!!!!!!
sj0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #66
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Glad you got your o-ring on and the leak fixed. My large o-ring was still intact but flattened while a little brittle.

Every time I get near the oil sending unit, even in putting an oil filter wrench on/changing the filter, I unplug the long connector from it. Just too easy to snap it off near the block and doesn't take much.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #67
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniblurb View Post
...my large o-ring was still intact but flattened while a little brittle.
+1 ^
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #68
matholland
1998 ZJ 

Easiest thing to do in my opinion is to go to rural king, pick up a t-60 3/8's drive socket...go home and put the socket end in a vice, get a punch, put it on the torx bit itself and with a good wack or 2 the bit will come right out...now go find you a ratchet wrench to fit it and wala!
matholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #69
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matholland View Post
Easiest thing to do in my opinion is to go to rural king, pick up a t-60 3/8's drive socket...go home and put the socket end in a vice, get a punch, put it on the torx bit itself and with a good wack or 2 the bit will come right out...now go find you a ratchet wrench to fit it and wala!
I was expecting a T-60. Mine is a hex drive much larger than T-60. Had to use the hex end of a larger Snap-On bit removed from the socket.

Don't forget the 3-foot piece of pipe for leverage.

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #70
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

hmm i seem to have this infamous leak i never would have thought there was o rings there lol.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #71
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
hmm i seem to have this infamous leak i never would have thought there was o rings there lol.

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #72
Dtperrell
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers View Post
The oil filter adaptor is famous for leaking. Surprising enough removing it was a PITA for me. No room to work on it. The wrench needed to remove the central bolt on mine was a T60. I bought a T60 driver to fit my breaker-bar. This did not work. Funny thing however is that a 3/8 Hex L-key fits inside the T60 female part. The T60 wrench does have more surface area contact so use it if you have one. I could not remove this stubborn bolt with the T60 or the hex key because they would flex, so I placed a pipe wrench on the outer edge of the bolt shoulder and used an open-end wrench on it for more leverage. It actually took me about an hour to remove ONE bolt, using three different methods. Try to remove it with the correct tool first before using a pipe wrench. Mine has not been changed before and after almost 12 years, it was very stubborn.

The dealer sells a sealing kit that contains three O-rings for $ 3.83. I tried Pep-boys & AutoZone first with no avail. The largest of the three O-rings had become very hard and nonflexible. No wonder it leaked and the colder it was outside the more it leaked.

When you took the adapter off how much oil drained out? I just changed oil in mine and i want to completely take the adapter off like everyone is saying they are doing. Can I just catch the oil in a cup and pour it back in the engine or should I get more?
Dtperrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #73
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtperrell

When you took the adapter off how much oil drained out? I just changed oil in mine and i want to completely take the adapter off like everyone is saying they are doing. Can I just catch the oil in a cup and pour it back in the engine or should I get more?
I usually don't recycle engine oil. It's easy to get something in the drained oil(dirt or rust from the jeep).
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #74
ni0koms24
1996 ZJ 

Hey there, thought I'd chime in with my experience with the stupid oil filter adapter. replaced the o rings, seemed to work for a while. Then I took the stupid thing off, been running fine for 2 years now, good pressure and no leaks. I used wix #51348. little shorter than the one on it, better clearance. if you don't like wix, the filter is for a 2007-2009 FJ cruiser (plus many other engines). Same size engine 4.0, just a v6.
ni0koms24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #75
LouC
2007 WK 

Mine never had that adaptor from new.
I've been using Purolators 14670 filters for years no issues. I think the adaptor was used because of the XJs narrower engine bay. It is simply not needed at all on a ZJ.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.