Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #31
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2.bull
I must disagree. I just finished removing the 90 degree adapter from my 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo. There is enough clearance to put the filter back on. I used the procedure that was mentioned earlier in this thread, regarding a 1993 GC and mounted the filter directly to the engine block. I could not get the split guide pin out with vicegrips as described so I cut it off with a Dremill tool. So it will work on '93 and '94 for sure.
Not saying that it wouldnt work using other filters but what brand did you use. I know that the difference in walmart filters like fram and supertech is noticeable.

97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #32
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Silly ZJ engine bay design...no need for the adapter on WJ's. We have like 5 ft between the engine block and the "frame" rail

My 98 doesn't have that goofy adapter either.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #33
rs2.bull
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunthagunth
Not saying that it wouldnt work using other filters but what brand did you use. I know that the difference in walmart filters like fram and supertech is noticeable.
I tried it with a Fram PH16 and a Motomaster PH16 (Canadian Tire Brand) and both have no problem going on or off. I didn't measure the actual length of either filter but will later.
I've just taken a couple of pictures

Edit: Just measured the filters I have:

Fram PH16 ...........is 3 11/16" long
Motomaster PH16 is 3 3/4" long

Last edited by rs2.bull; 09-17-2007 at 07:35 PM..
rs2.bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #34
indept
2000 WJ 

You really beat the crap out of that frame getting the adaptor off
indept is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #35
rs2.bull
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept
You really beat the crap out of that frame getting the adaptor off
Actually, I used a small pipe wrench with a piece of pipe on it and never touched the frame at all. Mine came off pretty easy....about 5 minutes and it was off.
I see what you saying by the looks of the picture but that's actually white paint under grease and oil. My ZJ is painted white. There is not one ding in that frame .......just alot of grease and oil from the leaking adapter
rs2.bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #36
joe86

now i gotta do mines too
joe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #37
woodduck17

Congrats to you guys that were sucessful. I've been at it for 2 days and can't get mine to budge. I give up.
woodduck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #38
Inavacuum

anybody know the code for the replacement orings?
Make an offer on anything you're interested in.
Inavacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #39
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Silly ZJ engine bay design...no need for the adapter on WJ's. We have like 5 ft between the engine block and the "frame" rail
Yep I can almost stand in the side of my Inline 6 on the wj

and btw why hasn't anybody said anything about him using the Orange FIlter of DOOM HAMMER!

Frams Suck Btw.

No frams
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #40
Inavacuum

Am I missing something?

I just finally got my adapter off, where do these rings go? Are they internal to the adapter? I do not see any rings or anywhere to put them.
Make an offer on anything you're interested in.
Inavacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #41
69fury
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I found a different style bolt holding my oil filter adapter on my 93 Cherokee Sport today.

The parts guy at Oreilly's told me that the three o rings were in a "HELP" package (?!?) but he was correct, for my 93 with my style of adapter but does NOT have the o rings needed for the earlier housing that uses a hex head bolt to retain it (which I got off another '93 ?!?!?!).

OK, here we go: after jacking up the motor, I could access the bolt and i had my trusty T60 ready to go, but it didn't fit right. I could feel a T45 loosely rocking around in a smaller hole deep inside the main hole. It took a chisel bit inside an air hammer to turn the bolt loose.

When i got it out, I took a look inside. The main tool hole for the bolt was a 9/16ths allen socket, and in the bottom of that, there was another allen hex hole that wasn't even formed in the center. Installation was a breeze, as i just knocked the allen portion out of a 9/16ths allen wrench socket and used a ratcheting boxend wrench on the hex itself.

So, if you have a 9/16ths hex bar or allen wrench, cut off about 1 1/2 inches and use that to crank her out.
69fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #42
Chopper64
1995 ZJ 

I did this a few days ago myself. I had to go the pipe wrench route as my t-60 wasn't getting it done. Once it was loose it came out pretty easy. I eliminated the whole adapter like some others have and I have plenty of room between the frame and the filter. I'm using the NAPA gold filter on a 95' GC Laredo. Goodbye o-rings forever!!!

For anyone doing this I would not worry about being gentle with the housing. Just air chisel the bolt out and throw the adapter away. I can't understand the reason for the adapter anyways but my guess would be is some Jeeps needed them and others don't but all get it to make factory assembly a no brainer.

Last edited by Chopper64; 10-25-2009 at 05:28 PM..
Chopper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #43
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Get to tackle this tomorrow ( had it saved in my favorites for a few years)!!! This things been weeping for a year but now its crying tears of oil all over the driveway ( I guess thats what -8 degrees will do. No I just hope the coolant that was leaking this morning doesnt turn into a freeze plug nightmare
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #44
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

My adapter has a large allen screw, No Torx. I used an Allen wrench, slid a 12" piece of pipe onto it for leverage, and with a good shove it broke loose. Unscrewed it the rest of the way with just the wrench and then my fingers. I had no problems unscrewing it, just took time as there was only room for 1/6 of a rotation with the wrench.

And I don't see a problem with the adapter, I have no trouble unscrewing the oil filter with my bare hands when I do my oil change. And it isolates oil from running down the block when the filter is removed!
CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
trigga
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I can do away with the adapter on my 94 GC is the O-Ring kit still needed? I didn't know if a O-Ring was still needed.
trigga is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.