Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way)

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Oil Filter Adaptor Removal (my way)

The oil filter adaptor is famous for leaking. Surprising enough removing it was a PITA for me. No room to work on it. The wrench needed to remove the central bolt on mine was a T60. I bought a T60 driver to fit my breaker-bar. This did not work. Funny thing however is that a 3/8” Hex L-key fits inside the T60 female part. The T60 wrench does have more surface area contact so use it if you have one. I could not remove this stubborn bolt with the T60 or the hex key because they would flex, so I placed a pipe wrench on the outer edge of the bolt shoulder and used an open-end wrench on it for more leverage. It actually took me about an hour to remove ONE bolt, using three different methods. Try to remove it with the correct tool first before using a pipe wrench. Mine has not been changed before and after almost 12 years, it was very stubborn.

The dealer sells a sealing kit that contains three O-rings for $ 3.83. I tried Pep-boys & AutoZone first with no avail. The largest of the three O-rings had become very hard and nonflexible. No wonder it leaked and the colder it was outside the more it leaked.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
jeepholic

???? I thought it was supposed to leak from there.????
When I did mine on the 4.0 I removed a motor mount and jacked the engine up, it was a PITA squared.
Awesome pics. great tips.
Andy

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Nice job dude
I'm so glad V8s don't have this problem
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

True, I'm glad the V8's are not notorious for this, but the plenum gasket isn't much better

Grease, I take it you cannot find the wrenchin' Lizard?

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
dpierson

Nice work. I see you found another way to get it off. I used a pipe wrench as well but not in quite the same way.

Its been a while since I changed my three seals out and the leaking is very muched reduced however I am not sure it is completely gone. I still get a small spot of oil on the ground but it is about 1/8 the size it was before. I suspect that it may simply be from the leftover residue from oil leaking on the lower part of the block that is dripping off a hot engine. I need to use degreaser to clean up the lower part of the engine to see if I have another leak somewhere.

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
True, I'm glad the V8's are not notorious for this, but the plenum gasket isn't much better

Grease, I take it you cannot find the wrenchin' Lizard?
No he went to Florida for the winter, however these two guys showed up!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 01-23-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierson
Nice work. I see you found another way to get it off. I used a pipe wrench as well but not in quite the same way.

Its been a while since I changed my three seals out and the leaking is very muched reduced however I am not sure it is completely gone. I still get a small spot of oil on the ground but it is about 1/8 the size it was before. I suspect that it may simply be from the leftover residue from oil leaking on the lower part of the block that is dripping off a hot engine. I need to use degreaser to clean up the lower part of the engine to see if I have another leak somewhere.
Oh I have lots of leaks…lets see engine main rear seal, power steering pump, and valve cover. I just attack them one at a time, when I get a chance and when the weather is warm.

Unread 01-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Oh I have lots of leaks…lets see engine main rear seal, power steering pump, and valve cover. I just attack them one at a time, when I get a chance and when the weather is warm.
I just did mine power steering pump, water pump and radiator a month ago or so.
Wasn't too bad but let me tell you that bypass hose is f****** PITA
Now I'm gathering all part to do an electric fan conversion and I think I just got a killer deal on a drive shaft. I think it will keep me busy for a month or so
Unread 01-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Zaq, I replaced my bypass hose while I was reinstalling the intake before I put on the pulley mounting bracket. Keep you eye's open for a Taurus E-fan swap this Saturday. I started it while I had the fan and fan shroud off, I'll be sure to post up the pics, mounting, and relays. What fan are you using?

Grease, I like the new wrenching crew!

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

It looks like when you put this back together you could point the filter any direction you want. Is this possible?
Unread 01-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
Zaq, I replaced my bypass hose while I was reinstalling the intake before I put on the pulley mounting bracket. Keep you eye's open for a Taurus E-fan swap this Saturday. I started it while I had the fan and fan shroud off, I'll be sure to post up the pics, mounting, and relays. What fan are you using?

Grease, I like the new wrenching crew!
Taurus 3.8L. I'm tapping into my thermostat housing with a temperature probe (to get temp. as accurate as possible) and using adjustable thermostat 175-230.
I think I'll use high speed for cooling and low speed for AC. I'm still thinking about it. But I have whole thing worked out in my head so if you need any help let me know. I'm an annoying perfectionist when it comes to electrical part. yada yada yada
PS . Total thread hijack

Last edited by zaq123; 01-23-2006 at 10:29 PM..
Unread 01-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There is a locating pin on the engine block that gets oriented into the adaptor. The slot for the pin can be seen at the 9:00 o’clock position on the picture below. So the oil filter can only go back on one way. But that was very perceptive of you!

Unread 01-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
There is a locating pin on the engine block that gets oriented into the adaptor. The slot for the pin can be seen at the 9:00 o’clock position on the picture below. So the oil filter can only go back on one way. But that was very perceptive of you!

Grease, you finally cleaned out you garage?
Unread 08-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
Drunet
1995 ZJ 

Ok i spent long enough this afternoon trying everything to get this damn thing off to replace these 3 seals with no luck!

I'm going to go smack my head against the wall for about 10 minutes - brb
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

They either come off easy or they take you for a ride. One of the problems is leverage. You just can’t enough body weight behind the wrench. I finally ended up using the pipe wrench configuration in one of the photos above along with a box wrench to give me the leverage needed to break her free. It really pissed me off. It looks so simple but ......

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.