oil filter. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil filter.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

Currently using the Amsoil EA Filter and 10W30 Signature Series.

NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #32
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodenz View Post
Almost Everyone I have ever know has sworn by fram filters....
I believe that's due to their business model though.
One person warned me about them and told me to never go near them and if you check out that comparison I think I know why now.
After some googlin I have found people accusing their fram filters for causing an engine knock and falling apart within 3000miles.

No offense to those of you that use fram! Maybe I'm just super paranoid and they were just campfire ghost stories that scared me!

sent from: somewhere
I've never seen a a fram filter fall apart. you'll always find people complain about something, most of it's BS. Or they don't know how to work on cars haha.
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

I use the mopar, wix and purealator filters on all my mopars. The wix or mopar filters usually goes on my 69 charger which uses the same filter as the 4.0's and the magnum 5.2's and 5.9's. I use the others for the daily drivers since the oil gets changed on them a lot more often than the charger get it since it sits most of the time and gets driven on weekend when it isn't raining which is hardly ever lately!!
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #34
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use whatever is on sale, although I do shy away from Fram. I change them frequently, though. Usually Napa Silver, STP, or Motorcraft. I use the larger Ford filter on all my Jeeps.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
I've never seen a a fram filter fall apart. you'll always find people complain about something, most of it's BS. Or they don't know how to work on cars haha.
i've personally seen one and seen photos/video of another... this is of course out of how many frams on the road?

both had the same issue... the leaf spring failed and the internals were loose inside the can... no engine boom, some noises when it happened maybe but no boom... and yes i'm aware many other brands also use leaf springs instead of a coil... maybe that's why ZJ people like wix so much we know the superiority of coils
AmishFury is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #36
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Cut some of them apart, cut very close to the end cap/flange so you dont cut the filter and you will see why Fram is crap. The ends of the filter media are flimsy cardboard. I have seen quite a few of them that have failed and starting coming apart, two that I know of that ruined engines. In fact the not only a problem with cardboard coming apart, the check valves have been known to come apart and block oil passages too.

Just google "fram oil filter failure". Fram filters have been the only brand I have heard of where OEM's have been known deny warranty claims from lube problems. I know there are multiple levels of fram filters, that in itself raises a flag with me, maybe the higher end ones are better?

I have cut apart many different brand filters and most of them are built decent except a few, the ones that I remember were crap are STP, microguard, firestone, fram and a few other cheaper brands. Brands like purolator, mopar, motorcraft, a/c delco, mobil, wix, fleetguard, bosch were all good from what I saw.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

The oreiley by my parents house once had a fram and a wix side by side cut clean in half. The fram was just sad, had way less filter media, looked like cardboard, not made well while the wix was packed with filter media and held by metal and nice and clean.

I've always heard the cheapest fram is what you need to stay away from and that the higher tiers are fine.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Guess I'm cutting mine apart just for kicks when it gets changed..
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.