oil filter. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil filter.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992 View Post
Have u compared the wix and fram side by side? The difference is scary.
when you jump up to the nicer frams they're similar sizing and filtering. Infact my fram filter is bigger then some of the mopar filters.

Unread 06-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Napa Gold or Wix if Im at Oriellys
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post

when you jump up to the nicer frams they're similar sizing and filtering. Infact my fram filter is bigger then some of the mopar filters.
I didnt mean size but the materials and build quality. For a few bucks more the wix is 2x the filter. At least vs the frams at my parts store. Lol. To each their own it's just my preference
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I didnt mean size but the materials and build quality. For a few bucks more the wix is 2x the filter. At least vs the frams at my parts store. Lol. To each their own it's just my preference
I think he means the more expensive Frams are actually made much better than the cheap Frams.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nothin against it, I've ran fram filters on 3 vehicles, 2 jeeps. Never had an issue. i will def look at the wix next time I do an oil change, I'm not against anythign new and better. Just never had an issue that's all.
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree with MaintMech that NAPA Gold is a WIX and they just add a 5 in front of the Wix number (eg. NAPA gold oil filter for 4.0 is a 1085 and Wix is a 51085).

Around here every NAPA store has a Spring (Feb) filter sale on all their gold series filters. Have saved some $ in buying bulk oil filters, air & fuel filters for our multiple Jeeps for the year. Paid $4.67 per NAPA gold oil filter this year.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

I think he means the more expensive Frams are actually made much better than the cheap Frams.
I'm aware and I can't say which level fram one I compared to either. I just know once I ran a wix I never looked back. From comparisons of other brands and personal experience that's what I choose to run.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post

nothin against it, I've ran fram filters on 3 vehicles, 2 jeeps. Never had an issue. i will def look at the wix next time I do an oil change, I'm not against anythign new and better. Just never had an issue that's all.
Not trying to act like I'm more knowledgeable or anything just trying to help out fellow jeepers. Lol. Not saying I'm right either. I think it's good to examine quality of anything we put on or in our vehicles. After all they treat us only as good as we treat them
Mopar or no car!
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #24
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I use wix on my 5.2
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #25
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

K&N on all 3 of my magnum motors, 2 ZJ 5.2s and 1 Ram 5.9 with zero issues.
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #26
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Everything I've ever driven has gotten Fram. Never had an oil-related issue and I like the textured end. Never need a filter wrench.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtownsend View Post
I think I heard that mopar filters are fram?
last i heard purolator is the current supplier

if i had to wager a guess i'd say it's on the same quality level as Purolator Classic... which happens to be a couple bucks cheaper

i've been using the puro classics for a while with no issues... will be switching to wix because oreilly recently had a promo that made it possible for me to get wix filters for under $2 each so i have a nice filter stash going
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have used Wix and Puralator Pure One. I also believe that Puralator supplies the Chrysler/Mopar filters. Also According to this, Mobile one is basically the K&N but cheaper. http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/reference.html
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Almost Everyone I have ever know has sworn by fram filters....
I believe that's due to their business model though.
One person warned me about them and told me to never go near them and if you check out that comparison I think I know why now.
After some googlin I have found people accusing their fram filters for causing an engine knock and falling apart within 3000miles.

No offense to those of you that use fram! Maybe I'm just super paranoid and they were just campfire ghost stories that scared me!

sent from: somewhere
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I've used Pureolator PureONE for a while now, only seem to be able to find it at Advance Auto though. Best filter IMO, most filtering material, big ol thing. Had heard great things about Wix before too, but it's only sold at O'Reiley around here.

Try the Pureolator PureONE. It's been great to my 4.0
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.