Oil emulsion in cooling water header tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil emulsion in cooling water header tank

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
derbydalesman
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Oil emulsion in cooling water header tank

I am experiencing a substantial build up of oily emulsion in the header expansion tank of the cooling system of my Grand Cherokee Ltd 3.1 CRD 2001 - any answers as to what it may be, and what needs doing?

derbydalesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
bluerubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Possibly a blown head gasket, how is the oil in the crankcase? Is it a little watery or foamy? Just my thoughts this early in the morning
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Could very well be a faulty head gasket.
Tint bit of oil coming into the cooling passages.
you might not see anything in the oil, as they are different passages.
You can doo a coolant flush to eliminate other possibilities.
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
bluerubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
Could very well be a faulty head gasket.

you might not see anything in the oil, as they are different passages.
depends on where the blow out is in the gasket if that is the problem, under the head all the passages are exposed to each other till sealed by the gasket. He may even experiance a miss fire in the engine.
I don't believe he mentioned how many mile are on the motor even though a gasket can blow at any time!
He can also check his spark plugs for excess oil or run a compression check.
Blown head gaskets can affect all sorts of things. Some things may not show up to extremes till later.
It is good he found the trace this early as he can pursue the issue soon before he gets stranded some where.
Heck it mat be nothing at all
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

That is why I said "might not".
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
bluerubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

we agree
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
derbydalesman
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Oil emulsion in cooling water header tank

Thanks for all your replies - a mechanic here in England has stated that the car had an oil leak in the transmission cooling system (same coolant as engine??) and that is where the oil is coming from - the transmission cooler was replaced, but left residual oil in the system that is now coming to the top - does that make sense? You will gather that I am a novice with regard to mechanics, but love the car, it is awesome (2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd 60th Anniversary 3.1 CRD) Further help appreciated!
derbydalesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
bluerubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sounds possible!! Oil floats on water so it should come to the top sooner or later. Specially if the trans and motor are using the same cooling system fluids. Glad it wasn't a blown head gasket. They are on the expensive side if done by someone other than yourself
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Aceladriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbydalesman View Post
- a mechanic here in England has stated that the car had an oil leak in the transmission cooling system (same coolant as engine??) and that is where the oil is coming from - the transmission cooler was replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerubicon06 View Post
Specially if the trans and motor are using the same cooling system fluids
The mechanic must have meant the transmission cooler inside the radiator cracked and leaked into the radiator coolant.

The transmission lines runs into the side tank on the radiator where there is a cooler that transfers the ATF heat to the coolant and eliminates it through the radiator. That is the only place the two come close to each other.

EDIT: The radiator would had to have been replaced to fix this problem. How long ago was this supposed to have been done and does the radiator look new/clean? Might want to check your tranny fluid condition too to make sure it isn't pink or frothy.

Keep an eye on it though in case that isn't the problem.

Last edited by Aceladriver; 02-15-2008 at 02:50 AM..
Aceladriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Carl40

Hi all. Exactly the same problem with my Granny 3.1TD at 74000 miles. Head Gasket replaced. Fortunately none of the cylinder heads was damaged. it was actually the first time that I heard that my car has 5 different cylinder heads...ahhhh. Hell of a work. Might get it back on Monday. Cost....ca 1000 Pounds.
Carl40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Aceladriver

It will make a big difference whether it is leftover from the ATF cooler problem or a new problem with a head gasket etc.

First you need to determine which it is. I would lean towards it having a pinkish tinge if it is actually the leftover ATF. If it has a brownish tinge I'd lean towards it being engine oil.

Also look for coolant (or an area clean of motor oil) at the bottom of the engine oil dipstick which should also give it an abnormally high oil level too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.