Oil Change Service soon (need advice!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Change Service soon (need advice!)

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-26-2002, 01:10 PM   #1
SBrudzinsky

Oil Change Service soon (need advice!)

Hello,

There are a couple hundreds miles left before I'll go with my first oil change service for my '02 GC Special Edition. I prefer to go with the fully synthetic oil such as Mobil-1 SuperSyn or Royal Purple (I did not decide yet which brand will I use), and will probably go with K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter (but oil filter is not a big issue to me now). So, I have a few questions and I would appreciate any of your opinions and/or suggestions.

1. If some of you using fully synthetic engine oil, what brand would you recommend and what viscosity grade would be appropriate if I currently live in Northeast region of the US?

2. How your engine behaves with the synthetic oil? Did you feel any differences when you switched from conventional mineral oil to synthetic one? Did your engine became more quieter and running smoothly?

3. Can you note any dramatic changes with fuel consumption? Do you feel any fuel economy improvements?

4. Will my Jeep dealer provide me with the oil change service if I'll bring them my own oil (with approved and recommended API and viscosity grades)? If yes, can I trust them? I mean - can I be sure that they will definitely put in my own oil?

Thank you very much in advance for your responses!

Unread 09-26-2002, 04:26 PM   #2
SilverLimited
2005 WK 

I ran synthetics in my 2000 WJ I6 for about 1 year. Didn't notice any appreciable difference in performance, or mileage.

You do however get a boost in mileage between intervals, so its safer to stretch out oil changes a few thousand more miles. If the book says 5k, you can get 7k.

You have a couple of options in your climate zone. If its severe cold, run something like Mobil1 5w-30w, or the 10w-30w. I ran the 10-30w in Michigan thru the winter months. There is a section in your owners manual with a temperature range chart that shows what you can safely run.

Call your dealer and ask them if they will use owner provided products. They may balk at it, and charge you an ridiculus labor rate. If they give you a tough time, take it somewhere else.

MAC
SilverLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
SBrudzinsky

Thank you SilverLimited for your response and thoughts.

Do you or anybody here know or heard anything about, or even used "Royal Purple Motor Oil"? What's your opinion on this product?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.