Oil change and Service Center - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil change and Service Center

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-01-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
SBrudzinsky

Oil change and Service Center

Hello All,
Next week I’m planning to go with my first oil change service.
Is this service must be done at the Jeep authorized service center (at the dealership), or it can be done by any auto mechanic at the any regular service centers? Does any specific things involved in this process (electronics and/or computer as an example)? Does anything should be re-set in the computer after oil and oil filter change? Is this procedure too complicated or it is very easy to be done even by myself?
What should I know before I’ll go with the oil change?
Please advice. I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you all in advance!

Unread 10-02-2002, 08:02 AM   #2
ALS59LTD
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's pretty easy, just change the oil like any other car. get a new oil filter and make sure you put some oil on the filter gasket. to reset the computer just press select button and it will display the miles to service. Press and hold set and it will reset. Oil changes are pretty cheap at a gas station, and you could have them change other fluids in your jeep that might need it, such as: transfer case, rear/front diff, transmission. The only problem with using a gas station is making sure that they use quality fluids. you might want to switch to synthetics. If you have the other fluids put in make sure they use the right jeep and if you have trac-loc you need to get the additive put in.
Unread 10-02-2002, 12:42 PM   #3
SBrudzinsky

Quote:
Originally posted by ALS59LTD
It's pretty easy, just change the oil like any other car. ...
Tnank you ALS59LTD for your thoughts.

Yes. I'm planning go with the fully synthetic oil.
My concern is just electronics/ on board computer involvement in this procedure on Jeeps of '01 and '02. So, if nothing else should be done (specifically at the dealership) but only oil and oil filter change, then I can freely do that at the any nearest, let say "around the corner" gas stations? Is that correct?
But who can tell me, or where I can find this information if there are no other important things should be performed by mechanic specifically for Jeeps of that years before or after oil change service? As far as I heard Mercedes-Benz ML-320 and 500 are require some reset procedure in their on-board computer. I'm talking not about service reminder, this is something related to the software control on all mechanical and electrical functionality. I'm not sure if I correctly explaining this. I'd like to believe that you know what I am talking about.

Thanks gain for your responses!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.