oil change and coolant change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil change and coolant change

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
thudson331
1999 WJ 

oil change and coolant change

Hey guys,

once again i am needing some help. I am changing the oil and coolant on my 99 laredo. i have drained it of oil and changed the filter. the only prob now is i cant get the oil fill cap off Is there a certain nack to this cap and not like other cars that just twist off this brings me to my next question...how do you get the coolant to drain. i opened the bottle fill cap and then turned the drain on at the bottom of the rad...NOTHING honestly i am stumped. Lastly, after this is done, how do i get rid of the 'PERFORM SERVICE' light from showing and beeping?

thanks,
Troy

thudson331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Eshindi
1999 WJ 

For the engine oil make sure that the engine is cool

Taken from my manual
Quote:
DRAINING ENTIRE SYSTEM
Use this procedure if the entire cooling system is to
be drained, such as for engine removal.
(1) DO NOT remove radiator cap first. With engine
cold, raise vehicle on a hoist and locate radiator
draincock.
† 4.0L 6-cyl. Engine: Radiator draincock is located
on the right/lower side of radiator facing to rear of
vehicle.
† 4.7L V-8 Engines: Radiator draincock is located
on the left/lower side of radiator facing to rear of
vehicle.
(2) Attach one end of a hose to the draincock. Put
the other end into a clean container. Open draincock
and drain coolant from radiator. This will empty the
coolant reserve/overflow tank. The coolant does not
have to be removed from the tank unless the system
is being refilled with a fresh mixture. When tank is
empty, remove radiator cap and continue draining
cooling system.

My Build Log
Eshindi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
thudson331
1999 WJ 

thanks eshindi but i have done all of that and still nothing. the oil cap is making a clicking noise like it is child proofed or something and the coolant just wont budge.
thudson331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Assuming there's nothing wrong with your grip <grin> I can't say why you couldn't get the oil fill cap off - it's an ordinary RH thread, so turning it CCW (you ARE turning it CCW aren't you?) is what removes it.

Radiator drain should be simple too. But you've got to also remove the radiator pressure cap so the fluid can come out.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

just clicking sounds like maybe the top plastic part of the cap broke off of the metal part and just the plastic piece is spinning
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Johnny World
2002 WJ 

Have you tried pushing down on the oil cap and nudging it a little left and right? maybe nudging will get the cap to fall into slot so it can be loosened.
Unread 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

this just happened to me when i changed my oil. the teeth inside the oil cap that make it so you cant over tighten it strip off and therefore makes it impossible to get it off (the right way that is). so the oil fill cap is actually 2 pieces. take a big flathead screwdriver and pry off the top piece... yes pry it off. it come off quite easily by just going around and prying the edges. once you get that off you will see the metal part that is actually the part that screws in. take a pair of vice grips and just turn it counterclockwise. this is the only way i have found to get the fill cap off until you get a new one. good luck.
Unread 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
PA 5.9
1998 ZJ 

For the coolant, it may be plugged a little. Get some wire and push it up through the drain **** and that might break up the clog. Good luck.

PA 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.