Oil change, but louder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil change, but louder?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Oil change, but louder?

OK, here is the deal. After hitting 200k, I figured I would do some things to enhance the protection of my 1997 4.0 I6 engine a bit.

First thing I did was ran a Seafoam treatment. Worked beautifully. Lots of crap came out the tailpipe, and I swear it feels like I regained about 10 HP. I ran the Seafoam in my oil for about 100 miles, and when I changed it, it looked like diesel oil, nice and black. No odd problems there. I normally run conventional 10w30. And there is usually a tiny lifter tick that is just always there. And a wee bit of knocking on cold start acceleration. (I have never had a problem, it's just a noisy engine)

But when I did the change, I switched to 10w40, and added a quart of Marvel Mystery Mystery Oil. And now on startup, it sounds like a diesel engine. Like I can hear every part in the top end rattling and moving. WAY louder then it was before. It goes away after a couple minutes, but the ticking while running warm has now changed to a more hollow sounding clack.

So my questions are thus: Should I be worried? I am used to my 4.0 making noise, but this seems excessive. All the stuff I have read on here suggested that 10w40+MMO would be a better choice for a higher mileage engine. And has anyone else had this issue?

ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

My guess is that Marvel is probably thinning out your oil. Isn't that stuff a solvent of sorts? How's your oil pressure compared to where it normally is?
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

I am running a thicker oil than I was before, so even if it did thin it out a little bit, it wouldn't be a whole lot different. My oil pressure is about the same place it was before. Maybe a tad bit higher, but not really much at all.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I run 0W-30 Castrol in all my vehicles . Haven't heard start-up knock in 3 years since the switch . You say thick , I say thinner .

BTW , Castrol 0W-30 is what BMW uses stock and one of few "true" synthetic oils . Lots say it but are not .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

MMO is mostly just mineral oil and mineral spirits. It would probably thin the 10w40 out a little but not so much it would be thinner than 10w30. I have no explanation for the engine noise but I'd change back to an oil that didn't make noise if it were my Jeep.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I realize that stuff has been around forever but I'm not a big fan of circulating paint thinner through my engine.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

It does actually seem to run smoother, just louder.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

that happened when I ran 15W40 in mine. I changed it after a couple thousand back to 10w30 and it was much better. Consider using a ZDDP additive.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Further validation of the "if it ain't broken then don't fix it" school of thought . . .
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've never used MMO in an engine and now I'm glad I didn't. It works great to float the grit out of your cylinders after honing though.

FWIW another additive, Z-MAX, is just three bottles of tinted mineral oil and according to FTC tests it causes almost double the bearing corrosion of normal oil. I worked at a parts store and I remember having to take it off the shelves. It's back now but it's still junk.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

When I first started driving ~1997, you used to be able to go to Wally World and get a big silver can of "engine flush." You let it circulate through your crank case for about 10 minutes before an oil change to break stuff up/clean stuff out. I think that was more or less mineral spirits. And I'm pretty sure there's a reason why no one sells it anymore.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You can still get engine flush at walmart and most parts stores. It's mostly naptha according to the MSDS for the Gunk branded stuff. It works pretty well if you follow the directions. Really cleaned out an old Chevy 305 I had in a Camaro. Don't rev or drive with it in there though. I've run it a couple times in my Jeep. The only problem I had was that it softened the seals on the oil sending unit both times and caused a leak. CRC, Gunk, and KW make it.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
You can still get engine flush at walmart and most parts stores. It's mostly naptha according to the MSDS for the Gunk branded stuff. It works pretty well if you follow the directions. Really cleaned out an old Chevy 305 I had in a Camaro. Don't rev or drive with it in there though. I've run it a couple times in my Jeep. The only problem I had was that it softened the seals on the oil sending unit both times and caused a leak. CRC, Gunk, and KW make it.
Odd, I haven't seen it around here in years, unless it's a FL thing. Even with Marvel though, I can see doing a similar flush with it, but I don't think I'd want to drive anywhere with it. Kinda like Sea Foam. Works great in the driveway, but do you want to dump a can of it in your crankcase and go?
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Everything I read said that seafoam was only to be run for about 100 miles before you change the oil. And all over the internet there are people saying that they use a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase at every or oil change. And then leave it in there. And that is what I did with both.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Don't you think that if MMO was worth it that the oil companies would just include it in the oil? Oil is the only thing that goes in my CC. All that other crap isn't made to the same standard that oil is and it just takes up space that oil should be.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.