Oil Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Change

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
Jeeprs02

Oil Change

Well I just got my oil changed at Valvoline and $75 later it's done. I was wondering if all these extra things they offer are truly necessary. They got me for some engine treatment stuff, he asked if I drove more than 10 miles to work in the morning which I don't I only drive about 3 miles on way to work. He said that was "severe" driving since condensation in the engine doesn't get burned off or something like that. They also got me for carb cleaner stuff they dumped in the gas tank and then durablend oil.

Are these things just a way to pickup extra money or will they in reality make my jeep run better in the long run? If thats the case I don't mind spending the money to keep this thing running like new for a long time. Thoughts?

Jeeprs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
jeepholic

Most of them are items yopu should do yourself, not the oil change, I can understand doing that.
I swear by Lucas products, they are a company devoted to ORC Off Road racing and make a great line of treatments, the oil stabilizer is easy to dump in, and every time I run the injector cleaner (you don't have a carb.) my car runs much better.
I also use all kinds of throttle body cleaners but carb cleaner on a rag to wipe out the throttle body itself is better then nothing.
If you don't know how to do it just ask.
I also go under the truck and grease all the fittings. Changing the fluid in the T-case(or at least checking it) is easy as pie.
All in all you wouldn't walk out of any shop in Miami for an oil change for $30-$40, if it's not treatment items, they'll get you for wiper blades, all things that we should/can do ourselves

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Jeeprs02

wow thanks for the quick reply. I saw them taking the air filter out of the housing and I was like wtf no way do I need a new one yet! Which he then confirmed thank God. The guy that was underneath my jeep also mentioned that there were some metal shavings in the differential I believe and the other guy stepped in and started talking about graphite or something to that affect. Is that something I should get checked out at the dealer? I wish I was more mechanically inclined!
Unread 04-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
jeepholic

Lets be clear:
The diff has a hole above the fill line, as in you fill it until it comes out of the hole.
To actuall test for metal shavings without opening it you would need to stick a magnet down there and see what comes out.
If you do have some shiny sparkly stuffs in there I would't worry, if you have pieces of metal then worry.
I am thinking if they did do a diff fluid change then they would have handed you the shavings in your hand and said look what we found!
If they just stuck a finger in it, I would't worry.
You should also be able to do it yourself very easily. I have seen people stick a siphon in there and suck the fluid out and refill with fresh.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Just to give you an idea, I use the Valvoline Max Life and pick it up at Wal-Mart for around $9 for a 5 quart container then pick up an extra quart for about $2. (Then after you drain your oil into a pan, use your funnel to pour it back into the 5 quart container and take it to a local parts store that recycles it.) The oil filter is only $3. So for less then $15 you can do it yourself, there are several write ups for how to do this, it's really a piece of cake. I use to go to Valvoline to get mine done when it was just to cold before we bought our new house and now I have a nice warm garage to do all my wrenchin.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Wake up. Buy a Haynes manual and roll up your sleeves.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
RaiderZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprs02

Are these things just a way to pickup extra money or will they in reality make my jeep run better in the long run? If thats the case I don't mind spending the money to keep this thing running like new for a long time. Thoughts?
You spent $75 for a oil change, a can of gas cleaner, and oil additive? Those idiots at those places are going to try and sell you those things regardless of if you need them or not. Let's face it, most of those guys aren't even that good at vehicle maintenance. If you can loosen a plug, drain a fluid, and put more in, you too can make $6.00/hr and be the pride of Jiffy Lube.
RaiderZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #8
Jeeprs02

yeah I think now that the weather is warming up I'll try my next oil change myself. I bet I could find a quick how to somewhere on this site. I just feel intimidated by automotive stuff sometimes. Thanks for everyones reply!
Unread 04-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #9
grandman97
Web Wheeler

yea my first oil change w/ the zj i brought it to one of those ExpressLube places the day after i got it.....they charge about $40 for the oil change. The day before the oil change i went to pick up the jeep and the mechanic/used car dealer(who is a very close family friend) tells me a bearing in the rear diff. has to be replaced so come back in a few hours. i go back there and he says after he replaced the bearing he drained and refilled both diffs and the t-case. The next day i get my oil changed and while the grease monkey is under there he says i'm in real need of diff. and t-case fluid change. I say to him "i bought this jeep less than 24hrs ago and the fluids were changed right before i picked it up" he says to me "maybe the guy was jerkin u around and didnt really replace them" i told him to leave the car alone except for the oil change. i went home and checked the diffs myself.. the fluid looked like i came right out of the bottle.. that was the last time i go to one of those places again i would reccomend the same to everyone else
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
haus409

I take mine to the local Penzoil place all the time. About a week ago I paid only $27 for their oil change, and they check all other fluids, including diff fluids. I can handle that, It's about ten bucks more than I would pay if I changed the oil myself, but that's worth it to me to save the mess.

About every time I go though they want to sell me at least new windshield wipers. Theres no way I'm gonna pay someone to change my windshield wipers. I go in there with the intentions of an oil change, thats it (as far as extra charges are concerned anyway).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.