Oil Blowing Out Of Dipstick Tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Blowing Out Of Dipstick Tube

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Oil Blowing Out Of Dipstick Tube

Looking for some new ideas here:

Yesterday I towed a trailer 200 miles round trip to pick up my buddy's new bike. Combined weight of the bike and trailer would be less than 1,000 pounds, however the gate of the trailer combined with an angled crosswind most of the trip made for a hellish time maintaining speed, so my ZJ was worked fairly hard. Oil pressure and water temp stayed perfectly normal the entire trip.

We noticed right after leaving an oil smell. I check and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so we continued. After arriving, I checked and found oil blown all around the passenger side engine compartment, and by the time we got home even the trailer was covered in an oil film.

The oil level went to just a hair above add, down about 1/2" below add.

I first performed a compression test, results came back just fine. I then cleaned the CCV orifices, and plan to change the oil next.

I also checked for excessive blow by with the CCV disconnected, almost nothing from the oil fill hole, certainly not enough to blow oil out of the dipstick.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue, either. I'm out of ideas, so I'm guessing fluke issue.

Unread 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I've read that excessive oil pressure can cause the dipstick to come out and spray oil out of it. Perhaps your oil pressure was actually higher than normal but it dispelled the pressure in the easiest way, blowing up the dipstick tube. if your dipstick comes off easily then it may be that...
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
I've read that excessive oil pressure can cause the dipstick to come out and spray oil out of it. Perhaps your oil pressure was actually higher than normal but it dispelled the pressure in the easiest way, blowing up the dipstick tube. if your dipstick comes off easily then it may be that...
That is false, if that was what you were told. Oil pressure is not tied into the crankcase. If oil pressure was actually excessive I would be concerned about blowing oil filters apart.

OP, did you check the crankcase breather tube. The tube should be connected to the front valve cover elbow and it goes to the air filter. The tube and elbow should be free and clear to flow air. I would have to imagine that your air filter should be oil soaked from the breather tube also. The PCV orifice elbow is the rear elbow on the valve cover and that goes to manifold vacuum.

When at heavy loads/low vacuum the PCV system does not do a good job at removing crankcase pressures so it will want to vent more out of the breather tube. If the breather tube is restricted the excess pressures need to go somewhere like the the dipstick tube.

With the exception of the breather tube, elbow or baffle under the valve cover being restricted, I just cant see why your engine is pushing the dipstick out of the tube, unless you have major blow-by.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
98jeepzj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

was the motor on the first time you checked the oil?
98jeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Just throwing this out from seeing a similar problem, woman came to the shop with a V6 pathfinder saying her dipstick kept popping out everytime she drove it, but only after it warmed up. After doing everything we performed a cooling system pressure test. As soon as the gauge got around 14psi the dipstick blew off with a mist of oil.

Head gasket had failed on one side of the motor and was not causing any compression leaks, but was allowing the cooling system pressure into the oiling system in the form of steam. Just an idea.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
Just throwing this out from seeing a similar problem, woman came to the shop with a V6 pathfinder saying her dipstick kept popping out everytime she drove it, but only after it warmed up. After doing everything we performed a cooling system pressure test. As soon as the gauge got around 14psi the dipstick blew off with a mist of oil.

Head gasket had failed on one side of the motor and was not causing any compression leaks, but was allowing the cooling system pressure into the oiling system in the form of steam. Just an idea.
This is close to what I read about
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
rcwarner
2001 WJ 

Mine did something similiar and had nothing to do with oil pressure and all that , dbl check your O-ring in the end of your dipstick where it slide over the tube .
Mine ripped and kept blowing oil all over the darn place and just happened to think to look in the end and seen the seal was bad
something cheap and easy to look at
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

As I said, both of the CCV orifices have been cleaned (both the breather and the vacuum side), although neither appeared to have any restrictions. I still may replace them though as the connections are a little rigged. Has anyone priced the orifices and the rubber couplings at the dealer lately?

I'm confident it's not a head gasket issue. In ascending order, I had 130, 135, 120, 150, 135, and 135psi compression. The 120 is a little out from the rest of them but it's still a decent number, and these are the exact same numbers I got almost 3 years ago when I purchased the Jeep, and on top of that I have no other symptoms such as oil and coolant mixing or loss of coolant.

The good compression numbers eliminated the possibility of excessive blow by as well.

I will check the dipstick as well as the seal at the base of the tube though.
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
rcwarner
2001 WJ 

i recently replaced them as well and they ran me like $35 for the grommets and both breathers
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

I'll bet you got it when you cleaned the the CCV orifices. I think I would forget about it unless it does it again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.