oil for 5,2 ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil for 5,2 ?

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
loodi

oil for 5,2 ?

so my v8 is close to hit the 250k km mark.
gonna need some oil.
gonna change all fluids actually but one is just confusing me... engine oil.

till now, PO used some castrol magnatec 5w40.
imho, not dense enough for an engine so used.

on top of that, 1kg of castrol magnatec is about....mumble...fast eur-dollar conversions....damn math.......damn brain....: about 20$.

now, for a bit more, for like.... 30$ i can get 5kg of some Wurth 10w50. i really doubt there is more than just the slightest quality difference. not even worth mentioning.

am i right?
should i stick to some more expensive fluids? is an engine as old and used as mine really worth it? could it feel any difference if i spend my money on a way more expensive oil?

loodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loodi View Post
so my v8 is close to hit the 250k km mark.
gonna need some oil.
gonna change all fluids actually but one is just confusing me... engine oil.

till now, PO used some castrol magnatec 5w40.
imho, not dense enough for an engine so used.

on top of that, 1kg of castrol magnatec is about....mumble...fast eur-dollar conversions....damn math.......damn brain....: about 20$.

now, for a bit more, for like.... 30$ i can get 5kg of some Wurth 10w50. i really doubt there is more than just the slightest quality difference. not even worth mentioning.

am i right?
should i stick to some more expensive fluids? is an engine as old and used as mine really worth it? could it feel any difference if i spend my money on a way more expensive oil?
Is it a synthetic oil that has been used in the past? If it is I would continue to use synthetic. It lasts longer and is more heat resistant than dino. It also has less ash content. You can go longer between oil changes with a good synthetic as well.

I use what ever high mileage blend is on sale and change the oil more frequently until I fix my oil pan leak. Then I will switch to synthetic.

I had 10w 30 in it but during winter it gets to thick and I hear a knock at start up. I switched to 0w 40 and that helped a lot. It's super thin at start up and circulates better but is thicker at operating temperature.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

I use Castrol 10w-30 full synthetic. In both my 5.2L ZJ and my 5.9L Ram. No issues in either. 5.9L is around 250k miles.
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Castrol GTX 10W30. It's pretty much the only thing that goes in any of my family's rides. But honestly I'd say having a good change interval is more important.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Castrol 0W-30 only here . One of few 'true' synthetic oils , not a misadvertised blend . BMW uses it stock from the factory . Your engine will love you , your wallet , that is another story
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

I read somewhere once that castrol's quality and detergents blow every other oil out of the water. I've stuck to it since then, because I believe everything I read on the internetz!
But seriously castrol all the way
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
loodi

but money-wise: is it better to go for castrol every like 10k km or a cheaper wurth every 5k because its cheap?
(and after all, lets not forget what Wurth actually does. its ALL high quality stuff. i doubt their oil sucks)
loodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.