Oh no, not another lift thread! (Very simple) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oh no, not another lift thread! (Very simple)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 09-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
mr_user

Oh no, not another lift thread! (Very simple)

Hey all,

I've been working on a transaction with a fellow JF'er for a 3" Skyjacker kit with 4 springs, shocks, front and rear trackbars, and all lower control arms. I need the shocks anyways so I might as well kill two birds with one stone. Assuming that I run my 2" spacers on top of the lift, would I need to run new brake lines as well? Would I be better off getting some 1" spacers?

Thanks
Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

You will definately want some longer brake lines.

I have the RE ones that are made by Russle. I ordered them from Kolak when I purchased all my random parts for the lift.

I believe you can same some cash and get the YJ brakelines. They are longer and will bolt right in

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
mr_user

Thanks Tim!

Are the extended brake lines the only thing needed to run 5"? Is there a big difference in driveshaft angles, etc. when running 5" instead of 3 or 4"?

What is the general concencus of the Skyjacker kit?

Matt

Unread 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
PumaZJ

skyjacker is crap. but depends on what you're going for. if you just want a lift to look cool yea it'll get the job done. as for the brake lines, I have the YJ lines, they're about 4 or 5" longer than stock. this could all be found by searching.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
SkyjacktZJ
1995 ZJ 

I'm running the 3" Skyjacker kit with a 2 1/8" BB from Kevin's. So far, so good. I've had the Skyjacker kit on for about 5 years and added the BB last fall.
No extended brake lines needed for me.

I've heard the same complaints about Skyjacker before, but personally I have not experienced any of it... so far.
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
grandman97
Web Wheeler

matt- will u be able to run this guys 3'' shocks if u put the pucks under the lift and make it 5''??
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfelner
Thanks Tim!

Are the extended brake lines the only thing needed to run 5"? Is there a big difference in driveshaft angles, etc. when running 5" instead of 3 or 4"?

What is the general concencus of the Skyjacker kit?

Matt
I would look into the shock issue that Mike just brought up.

If you are getting the longer / adjustable control arms then you should be fine. I would look into extended bumpstops. Elliot's solution (I like it BTW) is hockey pucks + RTV = $5 bumpstops. Less if you already have the RTV just sitting there. I will definately use this in the future.

Some rear extended swaybar links would be good too. Make your own with some all-thread and few couplers and some nuts!

You shouldn't have a problem with vibes and if you do, a TC drop kit is only $35 or something close.

OH YEAH... AND QUICK DISCO's But I have a feeling you have this issue covered

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

My brake lines seemed huge, even with 5.5" they seem long. My only concern is the ABS lines. They are long enough, for now, but if I ever go longarm and 7+, I might be in trouble. I love the extra flex. Now to rear bumper w/tire carrier and sliders.
Unread 09-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
mr_user

Thanks guys.

I didn't even think about the shock issue, but I figure I could temporarily run the 3" with 5" of lift, as for the past 5 months I've been running factory 60k mile old shocks with a BB.

I'll keep you all updated, for 300 bucks to get me up to 5" it seems to cheap to pass up.

Matt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.