Oh frick! Grinding!!! HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oh frick! Grinding!!! HELP!!!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 11-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
PScott

Oh frick! Grinding!!! HELP!!!

Holy frick I am so pissed right now!!!

I was playing around with my moms overland and you know that other shift thingy like 4wd high and netural and low? I tried moving it while the car was on and i was screwing around. I put it in drive or park and then i put the other shifter into neutral and when i tried to put it back., i heard a LOUD grinding noise like i was breaking something!!! Now i'm so scared cause i think i might have broke the jeep. i may be imagining this but the engine and when it drives doesnt sound the same. could i have seriously messed up the car by doing what i did?!!!?!??

HELP!!

-Paul

Unread 11-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #2
madmanfrommars

Ouch I would hate to be you right now. A brand new expensive car, and you may have destroied the transmission

OMG YOU'RE A LOSER! WHAT A FRICKIN LOSER! LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 11-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
PScott

I know!!! i'm so pissed !!!! THIS IS GONNA BE MY OVERLAND IN A YEAR AND I DONT WANNA FRICK IT UP!!
Unread 11-28-2002, 12:11 AM   #4
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

overland huh.. nice first off its not a car.... its a jeep.... okay here the deal you didn't bugger up anything with the motor .. the t case grinds a little in you are not coasting when ya try to shift the t case( your other shifter the one with 4high and netural and 4 low..)so it should all be fine... and yes go read the owners book if your gonna get this thing (must be nice) ya might as whell know how to use it...

2002 grand, 1995 yj, 81cj5, 53m38,looking for a willys truck, 2003 rubicon edition on the way yee haa 03 rubi died a moose wanted a closer look... bought a 08jk two door. Ox front locker soon to be detriot rear...
Unread 11-28-2002, 05:43 AM   #5
Ryan2son

Is this even true?

I have a hard time believing this....

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Unread 11-28-2002, 07:25 AM   #6
PScott

Re: Is this even true?

why can't you believe this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan2son
I have a hard time believing this....
Unread 11-28-2002, 07:26 AM   #7
PScott

So everything is fine and i didnt break anything?

-Paul

Quote:
Originally posted by BEATERCJ
overland huh.. nice first of its not a car.... its a jeep.... okay here the deal you didn't bugger up anything with the motor .. the t case grinds a little in you are not coasting when ya try to shift the t case( your other shifter the one with 4high and netural and 4 low..)so it should all be fine... and yes go read the owners book if your gonna get this thing (must be nice) ya might as whell know how to use it...
Unread 11-28-2002, 07:56 AM   #8
madmanfrommars

yeah its very nice. My dad has one, but I'm not gonna get it
Unread 11-28-2002, 11:33 AM   #9
PScott

go away

Quote:
Originally posted by madmanfrommars
yeah its very nice. My dad has one, but I'm not gonna get it
Unread 11-30-2002, 11:55 AM   #10
Ryan2son

PScott

I find it hard to believe that anyone would use "shift thingy" and would be more concerned that you wouldn't get your precious Jeep from your parents rather than be worried that you possibly ruined the transmission and cost them $$$$.

I don't know if I speak for others but if yopu were my son you'd be riding a skateboard rather than a Jeep.

Perhaps you should appreciate how difficult it is to earn a buck these days and own up to your stupidity.

You dont' deserve such a fine vehicle...

I believe that your post was a joke and if it was not you should have to repay your parents...

Unread 11-30-2002, 01:31 PM   #11
Stocker

Re: PScott

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan2son
I believe that your post was a joke and if it was not you should have to repay your parents...
Ryan, I tend to agree with much of your reply! However, it may not be a joke although I think no harm was done. When we bought our 95 (in 95) I was told that you must use some force to put the t-case into (or out of) low range, and the resulting CRUNCH was indeed normal. I tried it once then, with the expected result. Haven't needed low range since then, so I haven't tried it again.

Paul, I would suggest you read the owner's manual and treat that Jeep as if it really means something to you.
Unread 11-30-2002, 01:41 PM   #12
Ryan2son

Stocker....

I agree with your post...

Too many times I've heard (or personally experienced - I have a 17 Y/O son) that there's this endless pit of cash to correct mistakes. This potentially could cost major $$$ which could have been adverted by following instructions and/or advise for Jeep. Keeping that in mind perhaps I was a tad harsh.

As for shifting betreen high and low, I have has absulutely no problem shifting in either park or neutral (no effort what so ever). As an engineer I certainly wouldn't design anything that requires hard shifting, excessive force or ANYTHING that would make a grinding sound.

I'd go to the Jeep dealership and ask for assistance if it were me.

Unread 11-30-2002, 04:25 PM   #13
PScott

sorry

Hey thanks. i'm so relieved now that i didn't mess anything up!

I am definitley getting the jeep next year to learn on and abuse it and when i get good @ driving I want mercedes c class or bmw 3 series for college but i don't wanna drive a fricked up jeep for my senior year of high school. ya know what i'm sayin?

ryan2son, you seem like u treat ur jeep like its ur baby lol. my mom doesnt really care about our jeep even though its new. to them its simply a jeep that can be abused. my dad drives a lexus gs 400 and he babies that. and the jag s-type 3.0 my mom is getting in about a week will also be babied.....i mean , after all they're luxury cars.

btw why should i repay my parents...nothing got screwed up and it was purley accident

oh yeah and btw, how much does it cost to replace a jeep transmission?

-Paul
Unread 12-01-2002, 09:24 AM   #14
91XJLimited

I'm 17, and on behalf of every semi-straight minded 17 year old out here...stay away from my rig. If you think it's just a "simple Jeep" and you can use it and abuse it, and God knows that you don't know what to do after you abuse it, to make sure it will run fine the next day. I pray to God that I'm not the poor guy behind you when a tire goes one way, and your Jeep goes the other. I will also feel sorry for your parents when they bury your snotty a$$, and quite possibly give Jeeps a bad name, all because you think you can just abuse something like its a matchbox toy.
I hope your dad finds some common sense, and drives you to school. Thank God you live in New York.

94 ZJ 5.2 Limited - 6.5" Teraflex lift, Clayton Long Arms, disconnects, 37x12.50 SSR's, Hummer Beadlocks, and more good stuff

[SIZE=4][URL=http://www.geocities.com/lovaboy1599/My_Jeeps.html][color=red]MY JEEPS[/color][/URL][/size]
Unread 12-01-2002, 10:22 AM   #15
PScott

why does everyone hate me?
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.