off roading in a 4x2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > off roading in a 4x2

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Closed Thread
Unread 12-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
blk418

off roading in a 4x2

hey everyone im 16 and i got an 05 jeep GC its a 4x2 i know i really wanted a 4x4 but my dad wouldnt let me i had to pay for half of the car dont know y he wouldnt let me. but wnyways i was wondering if i could still go mudding and stuff if i got the right mud tires its also a manual so i dont know if that would help me any in the mud because i would be able to shift into a lower gear. i would really appreciate some of your guys in put. thanks

blk418 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

They don't make a manual transmission 05 GC...You have a wrangler perhaps? Or are you refering to the 05's automatic transmission with the "joy stick" control?
Unread 12-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
blk418

its got the joy stick control
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
blk418

so does anyone think i should just stick to the roads or not
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
G-16
2000 WJ 

i guess you could go mudding, but make sure you have recovery equipment because people get stuck when they have 4x4. just take it slow and make 100% sure you know what you are gettting into. also it would help to have a few other trucks with you just incase you needed a bit more help to get unstuck.
G-16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
blk418

ok. pretty much everyone of my friends have winches that will get me out. do u have any ideas for what good mud tires i could get without getting a lift or getting any trimming
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

I'd stay on dry ground in your place.
You will get stuck in the mud.
Your friends will laugh at you.
They will try to pull you out.
They will break something on your Jeep.
Your dad will kill you.

Find a beater yoda or zuke for offroading. Save your new Jeep for impressing the girls with cushy interior.

Tires that are good in mud pretty much suck on the road. They are loud and wear down very quickly.
However, you can fit any kind of tread you want without a lift or trimming. Simply buy the same size tires your Jeep came stock with. You could probably get away with going to the next larger tread width, but that's about it.

Unread 12-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
ZJ_COWBOY
1994 ZJ 

With such a new jeep i would also say stick to on road and puddle jumping. Besides girls love clean cars. If you break your jeep your dad will be MORE pissed and you wont be covered by the warrenty. So unless your 05 came with tow hooks (it didnt if 4x2) dont do it.

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
ZJ_COWBOY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
blk418

yea i guess you guys are right. i dont plan on doing anything real extreme like rock crawling. i just want to maybe go on some of those telephone pole trails if you know what im talking about. theres a place a little ways from my house ive been to with a lot of my friends that pretty cool you start out in just a completely muddy feild and then go up a hill or 2 and then your on one of those trails for telephone poles for about 5 miles and then run into a creek. you dont think doing that would be a bad thing or get me stuck i know it depends on how bad the mud is but just a guess. there are some deep ruts do u have any advice on how to not get stuck in them? also would shifting into a lower gear make any difference when im in the mud?

thanks for your help

p.s. my dad said he wont get mad if i fix it and i ve got some money from my job so im willing to and is there any way my friends can pull me out without hurting my car since i dont have tow hooks if i do get stuck
Unread 12-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #10
ZJ_COWBOY
1994 ZJ 

Well i do know what you mean about thoes "trails" It depends what the trail is like. If it just got done with a 3 day monsoon then i wouldnt go. But if it was pretty dry for the week I would have no problem.

As for advice for not getting stuck, look for the easiest, dryest, most simple path or "line". It may not get you any props from friends but it will keep you and you jeep rubber side down. Ive spent 5 hours in the freezing cold (I mean -20 in swamp water) because I decided to make a u-turn instead of backing straight up. A hi-lo jack in the hatch, a stuck 3500 Ram , busted belt on a tractor and 2 freezing balls later i got the jeep back. Be smart and be safe.

^^^^^^ Explain that to the dealer ^^^^^^

^^^^ The swamp 3 weeks after the fall though ^^^^^^^^
Mind you thats 4 ft of water in that one spot

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
ZJ_COWBOY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2005, 11:46 PM   #11
grovesj2

You should be ok on telephone trails. You just have to remember that if one tire loses traction then your stuck. Make sure you never go without a buddy to pull you out.
grovesj2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

STOP THE MADNESS!

1. Did any of you read, "no tow hooks"?

2. Telephone pole trails will be the end of you if you get stuck and have no recovery points.

3. No matter how much you want to fix that new Jeep, you'll be out lots of cash.

4. If you decide to do it anyway, invest in some tow hooks. Get them at the dealership and install them. It'll give you a new respect for your Jeep and your Dad will think you're trying to be smart.

5. Invest in some all terrain tires. The stock ones won't be very good for anything but the street.

6. I strongly recommend you pick up a beater yota or some other vehicle to wheel with and I'd keep the 4x2 clean and on the street.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
mr_user

I'm sensing some newfound companionship between blk and Coolest Stan!

Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
MidniteSquirrel

a 16yr old with an 05 GC...

I'd say get used to driving a lot, and be cautious. Leave the offroading and mistakes for something not so new and nice.

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
MidniteSquirrel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #15
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteSquirrel
a 16yr old with an 05 GC...

I'd say get used to driving a lot, and be cautious. Leave the offroading and mistakes for something not so new and nice.
I second that.
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.