off roading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > off roading

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
hurley

off roading

i am looking into getting a zj for off road use only....i was wondering how well do they perform off road and yes it is 4x4

[SIZE=2]Electronics:[/SIZE] Alpine head unit, four 6.5" alpine type-s, 750 watt alpine amp, two 12" alpine type-e subs, Uniden PC 68XL CB/ PA

[SIZE=2]Mods:[/SIZE] Bone stock to the tiers....but hopefully soon
hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
SkyjacktZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley
i am looking into getting a zj for off road use only....i was wondering how well do they perform off road and yes it is 4x4
You're kidding, right??? Check the "Picture Thread" to see for yourself.

Speaking from my experience only - They Kick a$$ off road and, if not too built, make an excellent daily driver too (mine is). Don't think that you can't build your new ZJ and still have the best of both worlds.
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
hurley

alright thxs....i just wasnt sure how it did compared to other jeeps

[SIZE=2]Electronics:[/SIZE] Alpine head unit, four 6.5" alpine type-s, 750 watt alpine amp, two 12" alpine type-e subs, Uniden PC 68XL CB/ PA

[SIZE=2]Mods:[/SIZE] Bone stock to the tiers....but hopefully soon
hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

It is coil sprung at all 4 corners like the TJ... Thats nice! With the right parts and equipment the ZJ can be a really nice off-road machine!

visit http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/ for nice ZJ lifts and stuff!
Unread 08-11-2005, 06:19 AM   #5
njrealtor55
2004 TJ Wrangler 

they work well due to the increased weight, and also the springs at all 4 corners - and if you get the select-a-trac 4x4 system it will have 2 types of high range 4x4 modes to choose from - besides the standard 4x4 low range.

I'd say you will need a minimum of a 2.5" lift, complete undercarrage armor and good 31x10.50 A/T or M/T tires to go offroading - as your curiosity will get the better of you in a completly stock ZJ - and you will wind up being stuck more than you will be wheelin' - not fun

only issue is they are a little harder to navigate tight trails with. other than that, colse the windows, pump the A/C and enjoy off-roading in comfort!

04 Rubicon mallcrawler
savvy/currie 4"
njrealtor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
gregmondro

they're as fun as offroading can be in a unibody :P
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.