off center axle - adj track bar for 3"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > off center axle - adj track bar for 3"?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

off center axle - adj track bar for 3"?

After replacing almost everything on the front end, my axle is shifted towards the drivers side by maybe 1/2"-1". It has the infamous 2" BB w/ UC spring setup. I know an adj track bar isn't required with a 2.75" lift, but do i need one anyway?

Also going for an alignment soon - I don't think that will fix the problem - but will they still be able to do the alignment with the shifted axle?

Where is the cheapest or quickest place to get an adj track bar?

I cant wait to go wheeling on Sunday but i don't think thats gonna happen.

QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

okay, okay, i did some more research and i know i need one, but could i have installed something else wrong yielding this result?

ive also had DW a few times BTW
Unread 03-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
ForwardControl

The lift will shift your axle but I'm not sure that much for +3" vertical. How did you measure the shift?

I know people get by with shifted axles at 3" but I would go ahead and get an adjustable track bar and fix it. Get yourself a heavy duty steering stabilizer too, might help but can't hurt.
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. [I]Added:[/I] Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). [I]Next:[/I] IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

[B][COLOR="White"][URL="http://www.manvsbigmachine.com/users/mattlowery/misc/wjbaseaudioupgrade.pdf"]WJ Base Audio Upgrade[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Green"][CENTER]I [I]HAVE [/I]A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Colorado Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B]
ForwardControl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
phant0omx
2012 WK 

mine was shifted over with the ome springs. i just centered it with the jks adj. it's now 1/8 over to the passenger side, gotta see if i can move it back over 1/8th...
phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardControl
The lift will shift your axle but I'm not sure that much for +3" vertical. How did you measure the shift?

I know people get by with shifted axles at 3" but I would go ahead and get an adjustable track bar and fix it. Get yourself a heavy duty steering stabilizer too, might help but can't hurt.
i know it is shifted too much because the upper control arms look like they rub against some of the surrounding unibody

i have the OME SS
Unread 03-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
ForwardControl

Well, then get the adj. track bar and make it right.
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. [I]Added:[/I] Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). [I]Next:[/I] IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

[B][COLOR="White"][URL="http://www.manvsbigmachine.com/users/mattlowery/misc/wjbaseaudioupgrade.pdf"]WJ Base Audio Upgrade[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Green"][CENTER]I [I]HAVE [/I]A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Colorado Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B]
ForwardControl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

so wheres the best/cheapest place?

Last edited by QuadraTokn; 03-16-2007 at 11:05 AM..
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
marty's yj
1993 ZJ 

I had this question too... I have started to acquire the necessary parts (springs etc) for the lift but I saw on Kevin's Off-Road something that mentions the axle shift. So I guess the adjustable track bar is necessary then... Thanks for asking the question and thanks to the guys for answering it.

'93 ZJ - 4.0l - and rusty wheels
marty's yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty's yj
I had this question too... I have started to acquire the necessary parts (springs etc) for the lift but I saw on Kevin's Off-Road something that mentions the axle shift. So I guess the adjustable track bar is necessary then... Thanks for asking the question and thanks to the guys for answering it.
how big of a lift? most people don't need it at my height, but apparently some people need it.
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadratokn
Will they still be able to do the alignment with the shifted axle?
So, will they? or do i have to wait a couple weeks to get one in the mail. WHO SHIPS THE FASTEST for this kind of thing?
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So, will they? or do i have to wait a couple weeks to get one in the mail. WHO SHIPS THE FASTEST for this kind of thing?
try JKS or Kevins. They ship pretty quick. As far as the alignment goes, I would wait until you finish all your suspension mods. If you DD it and have any issues at this point, you can do it yourself with just a measuring tape (TOE) .Just make sure to check that caster is at about the same setting as it was before (if you can't remember, just test it and make sure your steering wheel returns back to straight position after the turn)
That's what I did before I got to the shop and my adjustments were very close

Last edited by zaq123; 03-16-2007 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: grammar :)
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
try JKS or Kevins. They ship pretty quick. As far as the alignment goes, I would wait until you finish all your suspension mods. If DD it and have any issues at this point, you can do it yourself with just a measuring tape (TOE) and just make check that caster is at about the same setting as it was before (if you can't remember, just test it and make sure your steering wheel return back to straight position after the turn)
That's what I did before I got to the shop and my adjustments were very close
all the mods are done but the track bar - so you are telling me to wait until i have the new track bar to get the alignment?

I have been driving it for a week, tweaking the alignment by adjusting the TRE's and such everyday - its getting close!
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
so you are telling me to wait until i have the new track bar to get the alignment?
I'm not telling you what to do, that's just what I would do. Technically, longer track bar will mostly change your steering wheel alignment but I would wait a few days to do it once and for all.
Follow this link if you want to prealign it yourself
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #14
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I didn't mean it like that, I just meant 'is this what you are saying'. But I will get the track bar first.
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
how big of a lift? most people don't need it at my height, but apparently some people need it.

Its not something people need or dont need. The shift is consistent with the height of the lift, no matter whos doing it.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.