JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Odometer rollin' itself back?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/odometer-rollin-itself-back-1609521/)

MyZJ98 09-21-2013 03:51 PM

Odometer rollin' itself back??

Hey guys, got a very weird issue, adding itself to my list of others at this point. Recently, I've noticed my regular digital Odometer, not the Trip-Odom, is not clicking past 109,600 miles. At 109,599, it resets itself back to 109,300. Every 300 miles, it just keeps rolling itself back to the same 109,300 miles. I've been hand-tracking myself since to maintain a record, and dated/logged when it began, but I really don't want a TMU issue on my hands if I ever decide to sell this Jeep (which is a thought that crosses my mind off and on every day, that old love/hate feeling...).

Anyone have ANY CLUE what could be causing this? I REALLY don't want to have to buy another odometer, and lose track of my true mileage. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know!! Thanks

P.S.- There are no other related symptoms when this happens, it just happens religiously after 109,599 miles, without fail, and has happened easily 4-5 times now.

xcaliber81 09-21-2013 04:31 PM

Your probably gonna have to replace the cluster.

MyZJ98 09-21-2013 04:40 PM

Ugh, that's what I'm worried about. This sucks...

xcaliber81 09-21-2013 04:44 PM

Just keep an eye for one close to yours.

newfieZJ 09-21-2013 04:53 PM

I would think a BCM issue . It stores the mileage , send the signal to the cluster . I don't think the cluster would be capable of doing this .

I wish my 2011 Ram had this issue . My bumper to bumper is almost expired :(

MyZJ98 09-21-2013 04:54 PM

True, I just wish I could have maintained exact mileage. It's gonna suck down the road when I gotta explain that an sell it as a TMU.

MyZJ98 09-21-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieZJ (Post 16204337)
I would think a BCM issue . It stores the mileage , send the signal to the cluster . I don't think the cluster would be capable of doing this .

I wish my 2011 Ram had this issue . My bumper to bumper is almost expired :(

What's weird about you mentioning that is that the PO has had the BCM replaced 2 times by a shop with receipts in it's short life, so I can understand how the BCM could possibly be bad.

Where is the BCM located? And would a USED BCM cause an issue, like showing the mileage from the vehicle it came from? For example, if say a mechanic pulled a BCM off a vehicle with 120k, and this one has 109K in reality, when the new BCM is installed, would the Jeep then read as having 120K? If so, I wonder if maybe that happened when the shop replaced her old BCM; snagged a used one, but charged her for a new one, and thus, these issues arise. (Receipts state BCM replacement costs over $600 for parts, alone...)

Thanks for the info

newfieZJ 09-21-2013 05:04 PM

What ever mileage was on the jeep it came from is what you would end up with . You can take it to the dealer , perhaps show them your odometer one day , install the BCM and return to get the proper mileage programmed into the BCM . This may still get a TMU rating :dunno:

BCM is located under the cluster to the left , next to the reinforcement for the dash . Remove panel below steering column , back off 4 screws , slide it right to access 3 plug ins , one bottom , 2 on back , slide it out from there .

MyZJ98 09-21-2013 05:19 PM

I guess if I can find one close enough in mileage, I'll just deal with it. I guess I'll start shopping for a BCM with low mileage now, yay...

And thanks for the location/instructions too btw

Snowfan2 09-22-2013 07:24 AM

Nothing is wrong. It's groundhog day.

newfieZJ 09-22-2013 08:02 AM

Because I could , and doesn't take only but 10 minutes , I swapped the BCMs to confirm . As said , mileage changes from one to the other . I did note my BCM was also changed before and has a sticker showing the date , the vin , and mileage it was programmed to . Nothing was showing on the carfax when I searched after buying the jeep .

# plug ins , easy one on the bottom , 2 on the back are tight . When pulling the panel , there are 4 clips also holding it on , 1 on the left , 2 across the top left , one down the side by the VIC , screw driver to pry out is nice but they can be just pulled out unless stuck . Over-all , you just need a fillips screwdriver and I would rate this on the difficulty level , 1 outta 10 .

Lustra 09-22-2013 04:08 PM

Keep in mind the dealer can't change the mileage on a used BCM. New one might cost far more then most people are willing to spend, if a new one is still available at the dealer.

Originally Posted by newfieZJ
We may have gotten off to a bad start , but , you are one ignorant SOB
Yes , the mileage is stored in the PCM , it's only available through a DRB scan, it is irrelevant to 99% of jeepers

What about the other 1%?

MyZJ98 09-22-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I guess I'll look for a similar mileage bcm from a jy zj and just swap it in and hope that cures it. My zj has a factory alarm, does the donor bcm have to be from a zj with factory alarm also for it to work correctly?

Thanks

xcaliber81 09-22-2013 07:09 PM

Could be wrong but I thing the bcm's were pretty much the same its the pcm that make's the difference Im sure someone will correct me of im wrong though.

Lustra 09-22-2013 08:21 PM

If you get a BCM from a ZJ without alarm, your alarm will not work until the alarm function is enabled. This can be done by a factory scan tool or by locking and unlocking the driver's door with key a few times. You need BCM out of 97-98 engine size does not matter.

Originally Posted by newfieZJ
We may have gotten off to a bad start , but , you are one ignorant SOB
Yes , the mileage is stored in the PCM , it's only available through a DRB scan, it is irrelevant to 99% of jeepers

What about the other 1%?

The time now is 01:42 AM.