Odd question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Odd question.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Jake_A

Odd question.

Whats the total surface area of a stock zj, minus glass.

Roof, hood, sides, back, everything.

Trying to figure out how much paint i'm going to need, to do this-

Unread 09-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Red-ZJ
1995 ZJ 

That's a head scratcher. I painted (With Bedliner) my 1989 chevy truck, including the inside of the bed, and covered the whole thing to a reasonable thickness with three gallons.

I'd start with 2.5 gallons. You could also hit up your local friendly neighborhood body shop and ask them - they have likely repainted a few zj's.
Red-ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Jake_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-ZJ View Post
That's a head scratcher. I painted (With Bedliner) my 1989 chevy truck, including the inside of the bed, and covered the whole thing to a reasonable thickness with three gallons.

I'd start with 2.5 gallons. You could also hit up your local friendly neighborhood body shop and ask them - they have likely repainted a few zj's.
I figured id be good with 3gal, if i was using gallons.

I dont have a spray gun, I have a few buddies and case of beer. Its getting rattle can love, looks like **** as it is, cant get much worse.
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Why not just go ask a body shop im sure they can punch it in there computer and tell u exactly how much u need.
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Jake_A

The back hatch was the better part of a can, thinking the rest is going to take atleast another 9, plus whatever I need for the black/brown camo.
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Jake_A

Went through 6.5 cans of OD Green, going to run out and grab the other colors now.
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

I recently plasti-dipped my ZJ and I used 3 gallons for a nice thick cover. Then I used another gallon as a "touch up top coat"

So to answer your question, the minimum amount of paint I'd use is 3 gallons.
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

I hope your not copying that pattern. YouTube some tips on using stencils and shadowing. Good luck
Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

I know its on a much smaller scale but just camod my shotgun, doing sections at a time, taking your time, you'd be surprised how good it'll look. Lay your base coat, then use natural vegetation laid up to the jeep close, outline the veg lightly, then shadow just along one side to give shadows. My paint is in really good shape on the ZJ, if it wasn't I'd already have done this.
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Jake_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
I hope your not copying that pattern. YouTube some tips on using stencils and shadowing. Good luck
I am, not so much for it being hidden (I live in the heart of suburbia) But I LOVE the look of it.

I've wanted one of those M1009s for quite a while, but they are always in a state between fubar and needs $2k worth of parts to run.

Quote:
I know its on a much smaller scale but just camod my shotgun, doing sections at a time, taking your time, you'd be surprised how good it'll look. Lay your base coat, then use natural vegetation laid up to the jeep close, outline the veg lightly, then shadow just along one side to give shadows. My paint is in really good shape on the ZJ, if it wasn't I'd already have done this.
I've done more than my share of rifles, no way id have my first spray paint project be my jeep. (I'll post pics if you'd like)
The paint was in ok shape, but the color was hideous.
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_A View Post

I am, not so much for it being hidden (I live in the heart of suburbia) But I LOVE the look of it.

I've wanted one of those M1009s for quite a while, but they are always in a state between fubar and needs $2k worth of parts to run.

I've done more than my share of rifles, no way id have my first spray paint project be my jeep. (I'll post pics if you'd like)
The paint was in ok shape, but the color was hideous.
Wouldn't mind seeing them, not that I don't believe you, just like camo rifles.. and someday I'd like to camo my ZJ section by section. I'd like to see yours when you get it finished.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Jake_A

Quote:
Wouldn't mind seeing them, not that I don't believe you, just like camo rifles.. and someday I'd like to camo my ZJ section by section. I'd like to see yours when you get it finished.

My most recent -

My AR

Buddy asked me to do is Ak
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_A View Post

My most recent -

My AR

Buddy asked me to do is Ak
Very nice, paint and rifles. I can't seem to get pics up but have done my 870, the boys 10/22, couple pocket knives, phone cases, ice chest,,, till my wife said enough just before I camo'd the tv
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Jake_A

So, I got impatient, and did the rest in the dark.

I'll update in the morning with pics, You'll see it about 11min after I do.
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
Jake_A

Got impatient again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.