Octane Rating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Octane Rating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

Octane Rating

This sounds kind of stupid to me, but I thought I would fond out for sure. Will running higher octane fuel provide more power/mileage? A friend told me it did in his Toyota Tundra, but that's not a Jeep.

4x4andmetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

To the best of my understanding the octane level has to do with how much you can compress the fuel/ air mixture before it self detonates (pre-ignition). I don't think it provides any more power in its own right but it may allow the engine to alter its power curve to better release some more power.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

My grandfather has a 2013 Kia optima and he said he filled it once with regular and another time with premium and he said he got better mpg with the premium. Not a jeep though
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
To the best of my understanding the octane level has to do with how much you can compress the fuel/ air mixture before it self detonates (pre-ignition). I don't think it provides any more power in its own right but it may allow the engine to alter its power curve to better release some more power.
This is right. The higher the octane rating the more it compresses before it self detonates. Run the octane that the manual says to (which is just regular cheap-o gas, with no ethanol if you.can find it), because IIRC running an octane rating that is to high can cause engine knock.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

these vehicles can't self optimize for the extra timing running higher octane allows. there are no knock sensors.
if your jeep does get better mileage from high octane gas that means you have a problem with your motor. usually indicates heavy carbon build up in the combustion chamber.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
wsigo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
these vehicles can't self optimize for the extra timing running higher octane allows. there are no knock sensors.
if your jeep does get better mileage from high octane gas that means you have a problem with your motor. usually indicates heavy carbon build up in the combustion chamber.
Will advancing the distributor a few degrees and running a higher octane do anything? Or am I thinking too old school here and the computer will retard it anyways? Did not know these Jeeps didn't have knock sensors. How's the timing controlled?
wsigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

timings controlled by the pcm. turning the distributer wont do anything. at least thats what ive read on here
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsigo View Post
Will advancing the distributor a few degrees and running a higher octane do anything? Or am I thinking too old school here and the computer will
retard it anyways? Did not know these Jeeps didn't have knock sensors. How's the timing controlled?
Turning the distributor takes the fuel injectors out of synch but doesn't alter timing. Spark events are triggered by grounding the coil secondary through the pcm.
Timing is set by a table based upon operating conditions including temperature, engine speed, load, and oxygen sensor data.

Unread 05-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Using higher octane than factory recommended is just throwing money away. It does nothing but make your wallet lighter.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll stick to 87.
4x4andmetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Turning the distributor takes the fuel injectors out of synch but doesn't alter timing. Spark events are triggered by grounding the coil secondary through the pcm.
Timing is set by a table based upon operating conditions including temperature, engine speed, load, and oxygen sensor data.
Some real good info rat, thanks!

Curious if you can turn the distributor some on the V-8's but not the 4.0? When I installed a new distributor in my 96 4.0 there were 2 notches on the top of the distributor at the block the bracket fit into and there was no way to turn it even if you wanted too.

BTW, I ran plus grade 89 octane fuel in my ZJ for a while when gas was cheaper and saw no marked difference so went back to reg 87.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

V8 has notches too.
There's a very small window to allow for setting fuel injector synch. Which must be done with a dealer scan tool any time the distributor is removed.

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSekora View Post
This is right. The higher the octane rating the more it compresses before it self detonates. Run the octane that the manual says to (which is just regular cheap-o gas, with no ethanol if you.can find it), because IIRC running an octane rating that is to high can cause engine knock.
The first half of what you said is good, then you contradicted yourself. High octane fuel will REDUCE engine knock, also known as predetonation especially in high compression & forced induction engines. As you said it will reduce the likelihood of the fuel detonating before it's supposed to, which is the cause of "knock" or "ping."

I've owned two supercharged GTPs, one modded a little. And I had to run 93-octane from 7-11, ironically the cheapest place to get gas around. Saw lots of knock retard if I ran anything else.
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post

The first half of what you said is good, then you contradicted yourself. High octane fuel will REDUCE engine knock, also known as predetonation especially in high compression & forced induction engines. As you said it will reduce the likelihood of the fuel detonating before it's supposed to, which is the cause of "knock" or "ping."

I've owned two supercharged GTPs, one modded a little. And I had to run 93-octane from 7-11, ironically the cheapest place to get gas around. Saw lots of knock retard if I ran anything else.
Ah. Thank you for correcting me.
I always have some to learn. I apologize for the confusion I may have caused.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.