OBDII 4.0 to 5.9L Swap Completed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OBDII 4.0 to 5.9L Swap Completed

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

OBDII 4.0 to 5.9L Swap Completed

Been a while but I figured I would get on here and post up a quick writeup for anyone else trying to do this. I swapped the entire harness in from the bcm around the engine to the pcm and back into the fuse box. After pulling out the 4.0 harness I realized that they seem identical other than the extra sensor wires for coolant bottle and such, along with the electric fan. Also the evaporator core pressure switch has a different plug which can be spliced. I regasketed the entire motor along with paint and new accessories. Very much worth doing the swap. Plan on not having the vehicle for 2 weeks and many trips to the parts store, junkyard, and also needing a driveshaft resized. 3.73 gears seems perfect with 35's now with the power i have. Runs great on the highway and sits in overdrive. My mpg went up with this swap. I cannot wait to do another swap. I'll add to this if I figure new stuff to mention.

The parts list

5.9L Engine/Tranny/accessorys(you can use your stock ps pump and alternator(should upgrade alternator))
5.2/5.9 Air filter
V8 front coils
5.9 PCM and BCM(BCM will reflect donor vehicles mileage)
v8 y-pipe/manifolds(gaskets)/exhaust/sensors
v8 tranny lines
5.9/5.2 A/c lines
5.2/5.9 Engine info panel from above radiator
5.9L fan and heavy duty relays(preferably the stock ones) along with adjustable temp fan switch
Key fob setup to shut off alarm(I used the fob that came with my parts jeep along with the front passenger window switch panel to recieve the signal)
Engine Wiring Harness
5.2/5.9 Radiator/hoses
5.9/5.2 Throttle cable
5.9/5.2 vacuum/cable thingy on the passenger side that hooks to the throttle body
5.9 motor mounts/mounting brackets and hardware
Compression fittings and spare steel fuel line to adapt the 4.0 fuel line
Need to resize the rear driveshaft. I used the 5.9 one and cut some off the slip yoke(Ujoints are different4.0/5.9)

How to start

Have your A/C system drained from a shop
Pull The headerpanel and bumper off
Pull the hood off
Remove the condenser/radiator
Pull the old motor/tranny/exhaust/shafts

Swap the BCM from behind the headlamp switch up in the dash
Swap the PCM from the firewall
Install the motor mount brackets, notice you need to use the factory holes that are forward of where the 4.0 bolted up, these are probably full of mud and crap, use pb blaster and compressed air and a tap to clean the holes or just work a bolt in there with some pb blaster slowly.
Once they are bolted in you can lower the motor and bolt it into the brackets
Bolt on any accessories and wires, plug in the 2 engine harnesses, extend vacuums
cut and splice the fuel line to reach the rail
Bolt on the tranny and connect wires/dipstick
Attach shifter cable
Bolt on transfercase
raise tranny and install the tranny mount/crossmember
install cooler lines
install the ypipe/exhaust/o2 sensors
install the radiator/condenser/tranny cooler(optional)/headerpanel/and bumper
adjust the transfercase linkage
Check driveshaft length (with the d44 from the 5.9 I used the 5.9 driveshaft(UJoints matched, dealer only ujoints, at 80 bucks a pop i matched up some out of a 80's ford), with my lift i cut 3/4" off the slip yoke of the driveshaft to get it to fit. I will get a custom shaft)
Install/wire your electric taurus fan (5.9 fan wires the same)

Install the battery, check connections, add fluids, check (fuel, air, spark, and cooling) then cycle the key a few times slowly, crank, and pray. Mine didnt fire up becuase the neutral safety switch said i wasnt in park. After tinkering i got it to crank and fire. Took 5 days to replace everything i did (engine, tranny, wiring, rear axle, brakes, heater core, and evaporator core). I couldve had it done in 3 if i didnt remove the dash or rear axle.

97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

now make you a burnout video. haha.

GOod job on the swap. Whad you do with the old 4.0?
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Looks great! I love how the harmonic balancer/crank pulley is so large.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

I have my old bfg's for the burnout:laugh. I have the 4.0 sitting in the basement for a stroker project that i will probably never get to.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Nice, I always wondered what it all required. Of course when I had my 4.0 ZJ i found the power/gas mileage combo pathetic and had to get a V8 WJ.

Did you need the 5.2/5.9 radiator?
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

sweet dude, snazzy valve covers
Unread 05-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
Katesdad

I really like the valve covers also. One things for sure.... your no longer the 4.0 hero since you moved to the 5.9! LOL, I like the 5.9 wheels on there too!
After reading about the swap its clear a guy would be a fool to try this without a donor vehicle.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Glad to hear that you finally got it done!

So, with the complete swap, you should be able to pass the MA state inspection & emissions test, right?
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Bringin the thread back... I am going to pick up a 5.2 Jeep tonight and will be using lots of parts off it to do this swap too!

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
BRIANC500
1993 ZJ 

well done....
BRIANC500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Hey man, I have started my v8 swap but decided on a 5.2. You say you replaced the BCM, is this necessary? I have the 1998 Limited, and my donor vehicle is a 1997 Laredo with vacuum doors and not many accessories. Can I just keep my current bcm?

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

its been a long time but for any future question of the bcm it was only swapped to show a accurate mileage on the new engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.