Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

OBD2 Not Working with New OBD2 Adapter Scanner

2K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  coralman 
#1 ·
I just bought one of those handy little OBD2 Adapters that connect to your smart phone to be used as a scan tool. It works fine on my company car (2012 Dodge Caravan) but isn't connecting with my Jeep.

When I plug it into the Jeep, The Application says "Searching for OBD2 Protocol" then i get a message that the OBD2 adapter is not communicating. The application says the adapter error count should be 0 and it's reading 0 faults then starts counting faults all the way from 1-6

Has anyone used one of these? I know my vehicle should be OBD2 so what's the issue?

#3 ·
Or it could be an issue with the early implementations of OBD-II -- I have my suspicions (as do others).

I've got some OBD-II sensing gadgets that don't play nice on my 98 ZJ, but they worked just fine on my "old" car, a 2008 Mini Cooper S.

--bob k6rtm

#12 ·
Okay well I've never used a scan tool so technically I am a noob I guess.

I've been having some trouble out of my jeep with multiple misfires but I've replaced all kinds of parts with no luck. I just wanted something at a reasonable price so that I could get a better look at how my jeep is running so that maybe I could pinpoint the issue. Do you have a scan tool that you can recommend?

#14 ·
Can you make a vid of the misfire? Or give a better example? You will just get a misfire code most likely. There is a checklist on dealing with misfires. I like to pull the plugs look at them and check the gap. Then replace the wires one by one to see if it goes away (using a wire from another car or spare) then I replace the cap and rotor. Then coil.
But thats after the basics of cleaning connections checking for vacuum leaks etc..
Past that do a fuel pressure test and engine compression test. Also check the timing and chain if all else fails.

#15 ·
The misfire isn't showing much on my gauges. Mostly just getting codes and bad gas mileage.

In the last year I've replaced:

Champion plugs
8mm wires
Brass contact rotor and cap
NTK O2 sensors
CPS
TPS
IAC
MSD Coil

Someone linked the checklist in another thread. I tested fuel pressure a couple years ago so I need to do that again. I need to check vacuum lines too. I was told a scanner would help me determine if I have a vacuum leak also.

#17 ·
GotSkim, I realize its an archaic piece but have you ever used a DRB Co-Pilot? The upload would have to be on an older windows version wouldn't it ?

#18 ·
i know the conversation has moved away from the bluetooth scan modules, but i would like to say that my $12 eBay/elm 327 scanner has read almost every vehicle i have ever plugged it into (my wife's 97 impreza being the exception). I've even used it at school when they couldn't get their expensive OTC scanner to work. i use it constantly without issue. Got_skim seems to poo-poo them as toys, but for a backyard mechanic/DIYer, it has been great. although i agree that not all scanners are created equal.

#22 ·
Got_skim will keep complaining about that fact that we don't understand why he bid 2 spades.

And the rest of us will keep saying go fish.

Because we're not playing the same game. Based on his other posts Got_skim uses scantools as part of his job, most of us don't.

A $12 reader is worth every penny you paid for it if it pulls codes and shows you data you want. A dealer grade tool can do all kinds of neat ****, but most of us don't have a reason to need one.

#23 ·
I got one, A. . because I could. B....because I wanted to read ABS, actuate modules, change FOBS, test the BCM as far as communication, and if I wanted to alarm the jeep I could.
The one I have is archaic and a heavy brick but it does what I need it to do, and more. Did it make sense to do so? Nope

As kg said not everyone wants or needs that kind of stuff. I would really like to go deeper than I have but stuff always gets in the way. Skim is kinda proud of his knowledge and "toys" ....so be it, he has that right. I ask " why the need to belittle others?" I'll make the same statement I did a few years back to another well versed wizard of car diagnostics. I would much rather be taught than criticized.

#25 ·
You got one because you are wealthy enough why dance around it. That's a lot of money to spend not to be criticized. I guess if your phobia is intense enough it could be justifiable.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone, it's not my intention. But if I was trying to belittle it would be more like" If that's the only tool that you need then you don't do much for repairs". Why cry victim if their are no casualties?

I agree not everyone wants or needs that kind of stuff so I guess it's good that this thread is about OBD and not tires.

#24 ·
You said that your elm 327 scanner has read almost every vehicle you have ever plugged it into. Reading the front and back cover of a book is not considered reading a book. Any high school English teacher will tell you then same.

If all you want to do is read engine codes then why spend the $12. Turn the key on and off 3 times and the dash will display engine codes for you. Try to replace the ignition switch in a 08 grand caravan or program a key FOB in your ZJ after replacing the door switch and you'll be going to the dealer so they then can use a factory scan tool.

Even as a backyard mechanic/DIYer, lets face it most of us are here because we do not want to pay a professional to do repairs for us. With that said, it's a question of a scan tool that will allow us to make repairs or a scan tool that will allow us to make repairs sometimes. As the only person that ever touches my cars, I need tools that will help me do repairs each and every time. The money that I spend on my scan tools is the money that I get to keep. With a scan toy you get to bleed money every time it's a little more then a simple engine code. Try to replace a ECU in a 99 and new Jeep dodge Chrysler and see what happens and how much it costs. I can do it all day long for $25 which is the price of a ECU from my local pick N pull yard. The investment does pay back.

#26 ·
Just adding my 2c, Skim, not challenging anyone. I wish I knew more than I do. Which brings me to another question but that can wait until I do some more reading.

#27 ·
There is no want about it, if I could pay somebody else to deal with this **** I would.

And I'd love to see you pull engine codes out of our 98 without an OBD2 reader.

I can fix everything I need on my jeep with the code reader I have. There's a reason there's nothing newer than a 96 in my ****heap corral, they can't be fixed by normal humans with standardized tools.

#28 ·
I don't let others play with my cars. 98 is the only year that has no OBD2 "key trick". Speaking of 96 try bleeding the ABS pump on that vintage of ZJ. I totally get it, I knew guys that wouldn't part with their carbureted cars because they feared fuel injection and did not want to fix cars by throwing parts at them in hopes of getting lucky. I was turned on by fuel injection. The damn engine would never stall not even when super cold.

#29 ·
My truck is getting efi for exactly that reason, I've got better things to do than deal with chokes that don't.

But it will be efi that doesn't take some idiotic dealer tool to tune.

#32 ·
Yeah, you're right, HF is having a sale. Might put it towards one of those electronic flyswatters for annoying peop......uh.....flies>:). Now to the question I was going to ask. The copilot that was used to take snapshots while a engine was running is the topic. Didn't it have to be downloaded into the old MDS system to read the data? I realize there are more efficient ways to do that these days but was just wondering. The drb3 will do it if you have the memory card correct?

#33 ·
The MDS was retired and no longer used for flash programming or the Copilot. The DRB stores the data on the memory card. From there you need the recorder software that runs on Win 95,98,2000 or NT. The computer also needs to have a serial port to communicate with the DRB3.

#34 ·
Thought that was the way it went.Thanks!I have a serial to usb converter that came with a disc that allows drb to computer communication but don't know if it will work with newer stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.