obd1 scanner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > obd1 scanner

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

obd1 scanner

will this work with my 95 ZJ? i want a scanner for it but i dont want to spend 2 grand for the DRB3

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-c...1&blockType=G1

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

It says that for OBD1 it covers "Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth 1984 to 1995" so you should be good to go. But to be honest, do you really need to spend well over $200 on a generic scanner like that? OBD1 only reports a small number of codes compared to OBD2 and you can access them with the key trick.

BTW, since you're OBD1 you don't need a DRB3. If you're willing to spend $250, why not consider coughing up the extra and buying a DRB2? I spent about $350 on mine on eBay. As far as any OBD1 Jeep goes, I'd say the real value in the DRB tools is for all the troubleshooting and testing stuff they do (and which generic scanners can't), not for the code-pulling (except for the ABS codes, which can only be pulled by a DRB or similar high-end scan tool).
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
It says that for OBD1 it covers "Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth 1984 to 1995" so you should be good to go. But to be honest, do you really need to spend well over $200 on a generic scanner like that? OBD1 only reports a small number of codes compared to OBD2 and you can access them with the key trick.

BTW, since you're OBD1 you don't need a DRB3. If you're willing to spend $250, why not consider coughing up the extra and buying a DRB2? I spent about $350 on mine on eBay. As far as any OBD1 Jeep goes, I'd say the real value in the DRB tools is for all the troubleshooting and testing stuff they do (and which generic scanners can't), not for the code-pulling (except for the ABS codes, which can only be pulled by a DRB or similar high-end scan tool).
i seem to remember reading that chrysler changed it in 95, so you need the drb 3 for it IIRC. will have to check on that
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
i seem to remember reading that chrysler changed it in 95, so you need the drb 3 for it IIRC. will have to check on that
A quick bit of Googling suggests that the ZJ changed to OBD2 in 1996. According to someone selling a DRB2 on eBay, the final DRB2 supercartridge, which is labelled as covering 1983-94, also works for 1995 OBD1 vehicles.

MeanGreen should be able to give you more definitive information.
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

One thing which jumps out in the reviews of the Craftsman is it doesn't read live data on OBD1 vehicles. Not good if you're trying to tell what your engine is doing while troubleshooting. Saw this on a few other OBD2&1 scanners in the $200 price range and wonder if that's just the nature of the beast of OBD1 vehicles?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

I think it's almost certainly a limitation of OBD1. Just look at the small number of OBD1 codes compared to OBD2, OBD1 can only tell you very limited information in comparison.

It's been a while since I used my DRB2, but I think the only live data I can get is fairly basic stuff like engine RPM, coolant temp, O2 sensor state and so on. I don't think it does freeze-framing or any of that sort of stuff, that all came along with OBD2.
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the info and you answered my question about the OBD1 limitations.

BTW, I don't want to highjack this thread and if you're bored maybe you could answer my questions/thread over on the XJ forum about my 93 4.0 where I'm being ignored. Lol and thanks!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

I'll take a look
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
GotMoose
1994 ZJ 

I got the Actron CP9145 six or so years ago for my 94 ZJ. Besides reading and clearing codes, it let you read all the sensors (temperature, vacuum, oxygen etc) the PCM has access to. It also give you some of the calculated values such as injection length and ignition timing. There is an actuator test were you can fire injectors/ ignition coil and test relays without the engine running. It does not talk to the transmission nor the ABS module. It needs a special OBD1 cable to fit the Jeep
GotMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.