OBD I or II ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OBD I or II ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
at38b
1994 ZJ 

OBD I or II ?

Evening everybody, hope you'al had a good weekend. Anyway, 94 GCL 4.0, is it obd I or II? And does anybody have an idea where the connector is? The Chrysler manual, well, it references another manual for ck'in.
Jeff

Unread 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

OBD 1, and I've heard it's under the hood? I donno, I've been drinking.

I believe 96 was the 1st obd II zj

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

OBD-1 was never tested outside of California.

Chrysler = SCI
Ford = EEC-IV
GM = ALDL, OBD-1.5 was used in a handful of cars in 94-95.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

It is under the hood; it's just to the right of the PCM, which is in the back left portion of the engine compartment mounted to the firewall. It just a set of dangling wires with a obd1 connector plugged into a dust cover.

This is a 94 5.2 but I doubt it's different in placement.
image-386436796.jpg   image-3736388616.jpg  
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
at38b
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the pics, looks to be the same, now to find a connector plug for the code reader.
Thanks again.
Jeff
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

94 and earlier systems use OBD-I. 96 and later are required to have OBD-II diagnostic systems, by law.

Good luck with that diagnostic.

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

95 and earlier systems use Chrysler SCI. OBD-1 LOL
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
95 and earlier systems use Chrysler SCI. OBD-1 LOL
I don't know manufacturer specifics, only that OBD-I was in 88 models of various make, and by law, all USDM cars were required to use OBD-II in '96 :P

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Can't you do the key trick and read the blinks?
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

OBD-II is a standard protocol. This is why all OBD-II code readers work on all OBD-II cars. Before OBD-II there was no standard protocol and everyone used their own system. No one had OBD-I. Chrysler used SCI, Ford used EEC-IV and MECS, GM used ALDL. That is why you can not use a Chrysler SCI code reader on a Ford or a GM like you can with OBD-II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I don't know manufacturer specifics, only that OBD-I was in 88 models of various make, and by law, all USDM cars were required to use OBD-II in '96 :P
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

OBD-I application is kinda spotty through 1990 or so (the XJ and MJ was "pre-OBD" through the 1990 Model Year. However, the 1984-1986XJ with the GM V6 was OBD-I, since AMC bought those engines from GM with the control setup - the AMC engines were not OBD.)

OBD-I was specified by the CARB, and "caught on" nationally (nothing moves through government faster than a bad idea. OBD-I was poorly implemented and designed, and standards were about as standardised as plumbing.)

Sometime around 1994, SAE got involved and said "We'll take it from here." This is why OBD-II base codes (first numerical digit of zero) are standard, while the codes with the first numerical digit of one or two are vendor-specific. (The first digit - a letter - is used to define to which system the code applies.)

Also, the formats for the codes are standardised, so they may be assigned easily.

OBD-II effectively rolled out for the 1996 Model Year.

Also, OBD-II standardised the data transmission protocol and bus connector - OBD-I had different protocols and connectors for pretty much everybody - making it a good deal easier to interrogate the computer and find out what was wrong.

OBD-II also (in my experience) has a much lower error rate with self-diagnosis, I've had to repair several OBD-I equipped vehicles that threw codes that were just plain wrong.

(In any case, relying on the code without thinking about it is a mistake. A DTC will tell you the system where a problem may be found, it doesn't tell you what that problem is. It can't tell the difference between a wiring fault, a ground fault, or a failed sensor; you still have to do that. And, from what I've seen of recent auto tech training, that isn't being highlighted. That's why I tend to call them "techs" instead of "mechanics.")
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
OBD-II is a standard protocol. This is why all OBD-II code readers work on all OBD-II cars. Before OBD-II there was no standard protocol and everyone used their own system. No one had OBD-I. Chrysler used SCI, Ford used EEC-IV and MECS, GM used ALDL. That is why you can not use a Chrysler SCI code reader on a Ford or a GM like you can with OBD-II.
Just throwing out what I know. My '94 GMC uses OBD-I, for example. And I've seen at least one '88 GMC with OBD-I. I could swear I read something about Mazdas and OBD-I, for that matter.

Unread 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I hate to tell ya what ever it is, it isn't much. 94-95 GMC Sierra 1500 was ALDL, who's been lying to you? Read some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Just throwing out what I know. My '94 GMC uses OBD-I, for example. And I've seen at least one '88 GMC with OBD-I. I could swear I read something about Mazdas and OBD-I, for that matter.
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I think the deal is a lot of people consider anything older than OBD-2 to be OBD-1, when actually there wasn't a true OBD-1, it was more of a though that led to the creation of OBD-2. All the diagnostic systems for cars before OBD-2 was independant and somewhat proprietary (no standard protocols).

I really dont see the point in arguing about it, maybe people should just say "pre OBD-2" or something to that effect.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I'm just having fun with a young noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
I think the deal is a lot of people consider anything older than OBD-2 to be OBD-1, when actually there wasn't a true OBD-1, it was more of a though that led to the creation of OBD-2. All the diagnostic systems for cars before OBD-2 was independant and somewhat proprietary (no standard protocols).

I really dont see the point in arguing about it, maybe people should just say "pre OBD-2" or something to that effect.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.