Oba? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oba?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
chiefjohnston
1996 ZJ 

Oba?

Has anyone had any luck converting anAC compressor into an on board air compressor/ I've seen it done just not sure of reliability vs effort? My son brought it up to me the other day and says he's willing to sacrifice his ac to have the Air for tires/tools, etc.?

chiefjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Use the search function. There are lots of threads covering this subject. I will say though, without a tank don't expect to hace the air volume to run air tools successfully.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

I did it. Check my build thread. Its easy man, works great. Fills my 35's pretty damn quick. No issues with it so far

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You can also add a kilby compressor so you get both, engine driven oba and ac. Thats what I'm planning on.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

A york compressor seems to be the more popular one to use as it has it's own oil reserve and are fairly easy to come by. You'll want at least a 1 gallon air tank plumbed in someplace to use powertools(I'm assuming like an impact wrench) with any kind of usefullness. There's dozens of threads that I've read thru already, most recommend that one from what I've seen. It's on my list of projects to do one of these days
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31
A york compressor seems to be the more popular one to use as it has it's own oil reserve and are fairly easy to come by. You'll want at least a 1 gallon air tank plumbed in someplace to use powertools(I'm assuming like an impact wrench) with any kind of usefullness. There's dozens of threads that I've read thru already, most recommend that one from what I've seen. It's on my list of projects to do one of these days
Yes, York compressor, that's what I meant, Kilby sells a kit to add a York compressor to the 4.0 and you can find bracket kits for the 5.2.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Last edited by kg6mov; 12-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Stupid autocorrect!
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Not trying to argue here but whats wrong with an electric air compressor vs a york conversion. Seems that space is a little limited for a york unless something else is moved or deleted. I've converted a few of the modern compressors and though they work its a hassle finding the happy medium between over oiling vs not enough.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

In general belt driven oba has way higher output and duty cycle. The little electric compressors are ok for airing up (slowly) or running air lockers but don't have the volume for air tools.

Belt driven systems can also be much cheaper for a high performance system, the ac conversion doesn't cost much more than fittings, and adding a york compressor is comparatively cheap with the compressors being easy to pull from yards.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Yea York compressors are great pumps, can be cheap and maybe free. Then you have to buy or scrounge a pulley for fit multi-rib apps since almost all of them are v-belt. The brackets can be made or bought but you still need space to mount or delete and reroute other accessories for room, not impossible but a PITA for sure. Plumbing and wiring would be about the same for any of the setups but maybe a little more difficult and expensive for a/c comp OBA's. A/C compressors always need to be regulated since most of them should have no problem producing pressures over 300 PSI.

There are many electric compressors with high and even 100% duty cycles. I know the one I got can air up 4 - 33's even 35's from 5-10 psi to 30 psi without cycling and that's with a 5 gal storage tank. It can run a 1/2" impact to remove 8 lug nuts, I never really tested it to see how many more things it can remove before the air supply is depleted. This is not a nascar pitstop haha. Both systems would benefit from a storage tank, tanks can be made to fit all for all different configurations or sizes. A belt driven OBA requires it to be mounted under the hood and the engine needs to be running. Elec compressors can be mounted anywhere and can very easily be made portable, used on/for multiple vehicles and even away from vehicles if needed.

I guess if your electric compressor choices are the cheaper models or ones from HF and Wally then they probably aren't up to task. A tip I found that makes a difference is having good quality air tools. The cheaper air tools or worn ones tend to use more air and their power ratings are usually less.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
chiefjohnston
1996 ZJ 

Im leaning toward the electric logic in that it can be run stand alone or, without the engine running, and with a tank both would have storage for air tool volume requirements.
chiefjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Check out this thread..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/y...or-zj-1890073/

It'll be more labor intensive to install but you'll end up with twice the OBA setup.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.