O2 Sensors - 96 JGC 5.2L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > O2 Sensors - 96 JGC 5.2L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-14-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
WestTexasJGC96

O2 Sensors - 96 JGC 5.2L

I have recently got error code PO133 - O2 sensor ckt slow response (Bank 1, Sensor 1.) And my jeep has been running fair except it seems to be misfiring abit. What is my problem? My guess is I could change out the O2 sensors and changes plug and wires and the problem would be taken care of. How many O2 sensors does my JGC (146k miles) have and where are they located? How difficult are they to change and what tools are required? Based on what I have read is they are difficult to get to and you need a 7/8" O2 Sensor socket. Am I on the right track or way off base?

Thanks for any assistance.

WestTexasJGC96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
automan25

It is the typical recommendation that you replace your oxygen sensor(s) after 100,000 miles. If I'm not mistaken yours has 2...one just in front of the Cat convertor, and one behind. The system uses two as a way to determine if the cat has gone bad or not. I don't think they are too difficult to replace, I intend on replacing mine in the next few weeks, so I'll let you know. I found them for around 50 bucks each at the local auto parts shop.
Unread 03-14-2003, 10:37 PM   #3
Black96ZJ

WestTexasJGC96 is correct, more specific: One of the sensors screws into the cat, from the drivers side, and the other one is just after where the exhaust manifolds go into the exhaust pipe. They are both fairly easy, although the plug for the wires is difficult on the one after the manifolds.

Also, where did you find O2 sensors for 50 a piece......I paid 72 each for mine, and that was the cheapest i found (napa).

- Daniel
Black96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2003, 01:46 AM   #4
automan25

Shuck's Auto Supply...it might be Cragen or Checkers where you live...you can also go to CSKAuto.com. NAPA also had it online for about the same price. My Jeep is a '93 however, so mabey it uses a different design.
Unread 03-15-2003, 10:12 AM   #5
WestTexasJGC96

I've located both of the sensors but, haven't figured out how to get to the plug on the front one. I called Autozone yesterday and they quoted me $49.99/each - Bosch.

Thanks for all the help - I'm going to change both of them out early this coming week. I'll let you all know how it goes - and any helpful tips.
Unread 03-18-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I just got one for my 96 and Autozone gave me one for 48.99, but when I looked at the connector it wasn't right. They ordered in a 1997 o2 sensor for $76. Look at the connector there could be more 96's with 97 style o2 sensors.

Also 96 o2 on the cat is not to bad to replace.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
WestTexasJGC96

Thanks for all the help. My advice to someone going to change out their O2 Sensors on a 96 JGC, use a 22m open-end wrench not the Oxygen Sensor socket or Oxygen Sensor crow-foot (the reason I had a problem with both is because they are make for 7/8" and not 22mm which made me round off the back sensor because it was tight and the socket's were just a hair to large i.e. 7/8" instead of 22 mm.) Get ready to search for the correct sensors, on my Jeep the front sensor - OEM #56027917 -> Bosch #15705 and/or ? #15274; and back or on back side of cat - OEM #56041006 -> Bosch doesn't make a replacement (or atleast that is the result of my adventures to Checkers/ORielly's and AutoZone.)
Unread 03-19-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I'll try to get the bosch number of the closest match that works for mine. like I said it was for 97, but other than part of the guide on the connecter being a hair off they are identical connectors. Just shave a piece off the connector and slip it on.
Unread 03-21-2003, 07:45 AM   #9
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

The o2 sensor on the cat that worked for me was Bosch # 13399. O'reilys said it was for a 1997 Jeep GC, so mine must have been a late late 1996 model to get that o2 sensor.

Last edited by 97RedBird; 03-24-2003 at 08:31 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.