O ring and Filter Basket Removal 703 Injectors - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

O ring and Filter Basket Removal 703 Injectors

I got my rebuild kit today for the Bosch 703 injectors that I pulled from the junk yard about 5-6 months ago and I was excited to get started. The seller gives you one extra of everything incase you are and idiot and screw it up. I had been avoiding this because I though that it would be difficult for some reason. It is not. It took 30 minutes to remove the baskets and O rings from all 8.

You will need:

Screw
Philips
Flat Head
Vice to hold the screw

The easiest way to remove the basket is with a screw and a vice. I did not have a vice so I used pliers and pulled the basket out. This way is ten times harder because the baskets are in there pretty good. I don't recommend this unless you are strong. You have to pull straight and hard so you don't damage the injector. It was quite a workout getting all 8 of these out in one sitting. Do not pry it back and forth. If you have a vice you can be done in ten minutes. Get a vice.

To remove the hat that's on pressed on the injectors spray side, use a flat head driver and carefully pry up on all sides against the rubber O ring and not the injector. It will most likely go flying off in some direction. The O rings came off with little struggle just using my fingers. If you use the flat head be careful not to damage the injector.

With a philips driver, screw the screw into the end of the injector with the filter basket. DO NOT mess with the spray end. Put the end of the screw into a vice and pull. The basket will come right out on the screw.

You can see how worn out the old parts are. The baskets deteriorated when I removed them.
Now they will sit overnight in SeaFoam to get all the nasty out. I may even send them to church on sunday.

I will post the installation of the new baskets and O rings once I go back to the junk yard and get a harness for the injectors so I can use a battery to pulse the injectors for cleaning. Here are the pics from my crappy phone.

Attached Thumbnails
efef.jpg   Picture 21.jpg   ewee.jpg   zwxercv.jpg   tdcy.jpg  

jydh.jpg   jbbj.jpg   eww.jpg   ooijin.jpg   Picture 24.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 PM
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good. I just replaced mine with 703's off ebay. Smoothed out the 5.9 nicely.

Looking forward to more posts

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4x4 :: 46RE, 249, MSD ignition, PO e-fan conversion to a different e-fan, 3.73 gears
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Well, I rebuilt and installed my 703's from the junkyard. Took about 45 minutes to put the new o rings and baskets on. Remember to lube them up well. I used Vaseline because that's all I had and it dissolves well in gas. Install went fast too. Just pull the TB and remove the fuel rail. I used a small prybar to gently lift one side of the fuel rail up and then the other. Injectors popped out with the rail. You will need a fuel line disco tool from the auto parts store. The old injectors looked like crap but were still operational so I kept them. Just pop the clips off pull the olds out and put the new in. Put the retaining clips back on and re install the fuel rail. I used a rubber mallet and a few rags to very gently tap them into place before I put the bolts back in. They work great! Idle is much smoother and it feels smoother when accelerating. I did not notice a power increase so don't expect that. It's just more refined. Sorry there are no pics but I was in a hurry to track down a bad motor vibe which turned out to be shot motor mounts. I put a pry bar on the mounts and was able to move the motor with one arm without applying a lot of force. I would recommend the 703's if you get them for cheap like I did at the junk yard then get the rebuild kit for 16 bucks off line. Otherwise there are better things to spend your cash on.

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/Turbop...TLE_CAPS___EV3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.