ny AX-15 swap was a success! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ny AX-15 swap was a success!

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

ny AX-15 swap was a success!

I got my 95 zj in October with a bad 42RE at 199k miles. Instead of fartin with a turd old auto trans, I figured the 4.0 is the same they put in the Cherokee, sure enough I wasn't the first to have thought about it. Thanks to the help of a few swap threads and some extra comp hours I had saved up, I swapped it! Here's a list of parts I used:
AX15 from 1994 XJ
Slave cyl that was on the trans.
Brand new gripforce clutch (eBay deal, I was skeptical but it seems alright for the $)
flywheel from advance auto parts
NAPA auto clutch master cyl and Chrysler lebaron master cyl (explination later lol)
XJ clutch pedal/brake pedal and bracket
Custom made trans mount (using 2 seperate trans mounts
Driveshafts unlimited in imperial MO added 3" to my rear shaft and took 3" off front. Fits like a glove
NP231 tranfercase paired with my ax 15
Shift boot from a Dakota(?) Found it next to one at the jy
I can't think of anything else but it was definitely worth it if you have a spare 800$ or so lying around. I'll look over my receipts and add up totals. I will upload pics soon of what I did and a video link.

The master cyl was tricky for me. I just threw the pedals up there but the pushrod didn't seem long enough. Oreilys sells the lebaron master cyl for 20$ with a steel hook on the end and threaded pushrod. So I toon the pushrod from it and added a coupler to extend it about 1 3/4 inch longer than the stock one. It took me forever cause is only have a few hours a week to work on it and only half the time I was able to use a garage. It gets cold in MO and we had -10 temps for a week and between 10-15 for 2 more weeks but it warmed up enough yesterday to finish! Can't wait to hit some trails with this beast

dirtymissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

dirtymissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

Congrats on the swap! I bet it's fun to drive. And yeah those temps sucked but I'm not mending our weather too much now.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.