JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   NV3500 Swap (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/nv3500-swap-1217095/)

General_Jeep 05-20-2011 11:14 PM

NV3500 Swap

Okay as I decided to do earlier this week, I want to do a 5 Speed swap to my V8. I have read most of ratmonkeys thread and have come up with this list of parts I need.

Transmission: NV3500 Obviously<--- Have one I hope It works...
Transfer case: NP231 or 242(not exactly sure if it would work)
Pedals: Out of a ZJ or a XJ with Fab in mind
Clutch Kit: For a Dodge with the NV3500
Fly Wheel: From donor car?
Clutch Master Cylinder: From an XJ? or New from auto parts store
Clutch lines:" " Or new ones that go into a ZJ
Hugger style Headers for clearance

Not sure what I am still missing, but more info on parts is appreciated. Also If some would like to help Part Number would be nice too.:thumbsup: Also curious whether or not the Pedals would work from a Dodge, I'm gonna look into that some more next week.

freakinheep89 05-20-2011 11:36 PM

to elaborate a bit:

flywheel: you need the one from the dodge the NV3500 is coming out of or new OE replacement for the dodge. you also need a new pilot bearing for a dodge w/nv3500.

Clutch master cyl. - theres a guy that did this swap in town and he used the XJ master cyl, dodge slave, and bent his own lines.

hugger style headers-make sure they are center dump, i believe hedmans are the only option

things you are forgetting:
starter from dodge
a really long battery cable
some wires to run the solenoid wire to the other side of the motor.

You will also need to fab up a custom y pipe, as the OE from neither one will bolt to center dump headers.
as i recall, you also need to modify the trans crossmember a little.

General_Jeep 05-21-2011 12:54 PM

Excellent, I hope that that Is most of it then. Since mine is also a 94 its a OBDI and I don't have to look for a Control Unit that would talk with the PCM Right?

freakinheep89 05-21-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_Jeep (Post 11580190)
Excellent, I hope that that Is most of it then. Since mine is also a 94 its a OBDI and I don't have to look for a Control Unit that would talk with the PCM Right?

I dont quite follow you there, there is no control unit on any manual trans that I have ever seen, there are sensors on some newer ones but Ive never seen a manual trans with a controller.

I think you might have a check engine light but im not 100% on that

General_Jeep 05-21-2011 07:56 PM

I know ratmonkey had to get something that sent signals to his dashboard to get the speedo working. I don't think that applies 93-95 ZJ's.

freakinheep89 05-21-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_Jeep (Post 11581728)
I know ratmonkey had to get something that sent signals to his dashboard to get the speedo working. I don't think that applies 93-95 ZJ's.

oh thats the trans output speed sensor. the 44 and 46re use the speed sensors on the tranny to calculate **** points, maybe they feed into the speedo too.

the only thing you need to worry about is the VSS on the transfer case output. thats what our speedos run off of.

General_Jeep 05-21-2011 08:59 PM

No need to worry about TOPS then since I will be deciding when It shifts now :laugh:

freakinheep89 05-21-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_Jeep (Post 11581964)
No need to worry about TOPS then since I will be deciding when It shifts now :laugh:

:laugh:

yeah pretty much, although the RH series trans is mainly hydraulicly controlled except for the OD shift. It relies heavily on the kickdown cable to decide on shifts.

Hopefully you can get this swap going, my trans is fine but i have been wanting to convert mine to 5 spd for awhile now but i lack the financial fortitude to do so.

General_Jeep 05-21-2011 09:05 PM

Yes next week I will be going to local JY to find some of the parts, since this week in Colorado its just been snowing/raining. So hopefully I can get my parts next week. Then tow my ZJ to my parents house so I can use there garage and get to work on it. I'm excited and terrified at the same time haha, I have never done anything this big before on my Jeep.

freakinheep89 05-21-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_Jeep (Post 11581998)
Yes next week I will be going to local JY to find some of the parts, since this week in Colorado its just been snowing/raining. So hopefully I can get my parts next week. Then tow my ZJ to my parents house so I can use there garage and get to work on it. I'm excited and terrified at the same time haha, I have never done anything this big before on my Jeep.

it should go pretty smoothly. removing the old and bolting in the new one is the easy part. all the fab work to make it work is the PITA.

I helped a buddy put a 4.3/t56 in a samurai, that was a long and fab heavy process

General_Jeep 05-23-2011 11:37 PM

I Just noticed that some of the NV3500 came as a whole unit, No bell housing. While others came with a Bell housing that is obviously switchable. My question is if I find a NV3500 as a whole unit will it fit my Jeep?

General_Jeep 05-23-2011 11:44 PM

Never mind answered my own question as yes.

freakinheep89 05-24-2011 10:31 AM

As long as its coming out of a V8 ram then yes. they are the same motors.

Proph2010 04-10-2012 03:58 PM

I know this was last year but how did it turn out? Is this something the average wrench can do? I hate my automatic transmission and have already replaced it once and it shifts instantly into third and just hangs out there until 45ish when it goes into fourth, i have to manually use the ger selector to accelerate the way i want...i digress... anyway how much did it all turn out to be, please share you swap story.

EDIT: i just read Ratmonkey's swap write up, seems a bit too complicated for my skill level!

The time now is 10:25 PM.