np249 vc rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > np249 vc rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
travisschroer
1997 ZJ 

np249 vc rebuild

OK so here is the deal this is my first jeep and I love it. I used to be huge into VW and may be able to bring something new to the jeep table. I have rebuilt VW synchro vicious coiplers . The fluid is the same 100000 fluid here is the link

http://www.silikon-profis.de/index.p...d=bdlyharfaxme

Now I'm looking for A np249 vc and does anyone know if they are filled 85% like the VW?

So I know the 249 has a bad rap but it seems its all the vc that fails and I'd we can make a repair kit for 100? bucks I think it would be a viable option.

Anyone have any input?

travisschroer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

Most folks throw the 249 in the parts pile when it goes bad and swap a 231 or 242 in.
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb229 View Post
Most folks throw the 249 in the parts pile when it goes bad and swap a 231 or 242 in.
Most do this because they want rwd and 4hi, and don't want to spend the couple hundred bucks on a new vc unit. If only there was a bolt-on tc like the Mitsubishi's super select (rwd, viscous-coupled awd, 4hi locked and 4lo locked) for Jeeps..

VCs can be rebuilt (silicon fluid drained and refilled) and it's fairly common in the VW Syncro world. However, there isn't much data available for the Jeep VCs on the amounts and fill levels. It would be a lot cheaper though, compared to complete high quality replacement vc units.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
travisschroer
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Most do this because they want rwd and 4hi, and don't want to spend the couple hundred bucks on a new vc unit. If only there was a bolt-on tc like the Mitsubishi's super select (rwd, viscous-coupled awd, 4hi locked and 4lo locked) for Jeeps..

VCs can be rebuilt (silicon fluid drained and refilled) and it's fairly common in the VW Syncro world. However, there isn't much data available for the Jeep VCs on the amounts and fill levels. It would be a lot cheaper though, compared to complete high quality replacement vc units.
This is what I was thinking I'd like to find out how much is in it And at least make it an option for is to rebuild them. Question is does anyone have a rebuilt unit they can weight on a digital scale for me. I figure if we know the rebuilt weight k can find a used one and soak it on acetone and drain it and make IP the difference in silicone fluid. I figure this should either work or get us close at least.

And I will have to look into the super select mechanism maybe be Able to steal some technology from it
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I was seriously considering finding a way to use a viscous coupler in place of the 242s 4-full time planetary gear unit. There just isn't enough room for it That way I would've had a system similar to what some of the Mitsubishi Montero has (Pajero in the non-spanish speaking countries ).

I have a used, sealed VC unit but it doesn't really help a lot..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's absolutely no data on what fluid is used(we know they're different between the early and late models) fluid fill amounts, and repair techniques. they're welded closed so no easy job repairing them.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have read that the fluid is put in under pressure as well.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
travisschroer
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
there's absolutely no data on what fluid is used(we know they're different between the early and late models) fluid fill amounts, and repair techniques. they're welded closed so no easy job repairing them.
For the life of me I can't find the thread now but someone had found out it was 100,000 in the 96 to 98 and 80,000 in the 93 to 95 I believe he actually got a hold of a Chrysler engineer to find out. And are the not like the vw one where they have 1 or 2 screws that access the fluid reservoir. The vws had 2 and I'd soak them in acetone and put I believe 287g of fluid back in an all was good.

Sorry I know I'm beating a dead/dying horse
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Here is an old PDF article about it. It doesn't say that the fluid is put in under pressure but it does say that it is non serviceable. Doesn't give exact amounts for the fluid but it does say that it is so viscous that if some spills out you can not get it back in which leads me to think that it has to be filled under pressure.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...45921128,d.dmQ
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.