NP249 to NP242 SWAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NP249 to NP242 SWAP

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
tb007
2001 XJ Cherokee 

NP249 to NP242 SWAP

i have a 94 grand cherokee with a 4.0 limited, and a quadra trac transfer case that has a bad VC, i have the opprtunity to get a NP242, from a 90 cherokee limited, what i need to know, was the possible compatibility issues, the only bad possibility is that the splines would be the wrong splines? right?

Thanks,
Tom

eddited for new information

Last edited by tb007; 11-29-2004 at 07:01 PM..
tb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
zjjeeper

There are 3 different compatibility issues to check, but all are easily overcome.

If the 242 is from an Auto Cherokee then it will probably bolt right up..
and if it from a 6 cyl cherokee you are probably o.k.

here is what to look for

23 spline input.... (that is what your 249 is)

There are 2 different input cup lengths, depending on the vehicle, some where long, and some were short, the only way to know is to pull your 249 and measure, the measure the 242.

The good news is:

Same Linkages (just need to change the bezel in the ZJ), Same driveshaft lengths (you dont need to change your driveshafts, because 242 and 249 share the same outer case dimensions)

Overall you have a pretty good chance that it will bolt right in.

If it is a 21 spline unit you can swap your input cup from your 249 into the 242 after a little minor surgery of the cases
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
tb007
2001 XJ Cherokee 

on closer inspection of the case...

today i went to look at the case, and it's still in a running 90 cherokee, ( it is an auto, and a 4.0) the only problem with it is that it wouldnt go into 4 LOW... now, this jeep has been pretty beat up off road, is it realistic that it's just the linkage thats bent?.. and if not, why wont it go into 4 low, and is this a hard fix? (everything else works just fine, inclusind 4 full and part)

Thanks again
Tom Bell
tb007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.