NP249 to Np242 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NP249 to Np242

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 05-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Rcher

NP249 to Np242

np249 to np242 swap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished most of the job of swapping my transfer cases. The very last two things I have to do is reinstall the rear drive shaft and adjust the linkage. So far it has been troublefree but just before I took a break for lunch, I tried to install the rear driveshaft and it looks like a tight fit.

How much free play do I need? Does the driveshaft need to be shorten? By how much?

Also is a driveshft from a 4.0 shorter than my 5.2 driveshaft?

BTW did the Search.

[B][COLOR=White][FONT=Century Gothic]White Jeep Club #7734[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
Rcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
O Holy P

I did a 247 to 242 swap...and the driveshaft was a real tight fit. I need to get it shortened prolly about 1/2 to 3/4". Haven't done it yet and no problems so far. Just not going to get too agressive off road yet till it's done. Plus I still need tires. As far as the linkage goes...on my '99 WJ there are two holes on the bracket mounted to the trans mission where the shift linkage cable can be installed. I moved mine to the opposite hole and it worked. I've put about 2k miles on it since the swap and I'm running Dextron III in the TC. Fun in the rain or loose gravel....can you say fish-tail?

pg

'95 z28 six speed - black w/ red stripes
solid roller 396ci LT1
O Holy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Rcher

Yikes! It is a tight fit. You're a braver man than I am.

I got my driveshaft on there but I only had less than 1/8" of free play. Took it off. I finished the job and then set down to figure out how to make the dash board lights work.

Anybody know how to make the dash shift indicator lights work?
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
O Holy P

Part #56041438-aa to get the part-time light to work on the dash, it's about $20, you an try getting it from dodge or just get the plug/harness thing from a junkyard - I've heard it's not easy to find. If you want to get a different shifter...for the WJ it's about $120 for the whole thing. Haven't done that yet either, don't really see a need too till I just have money to blow.

It may be different for a ZJ. But atleast you can start somewhere.

pg

solid roller 396ci LT1
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
Rcher

Thanks!

Next question, I need the rubber dust boot that goes over the driveshaft splines. Anybody got a part number for that boot?
Unread 05-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
O Holy P

Haha, nope....I got my driveshaft from a junkyard and it came with everything...even u-joint straps and bolts!!! Couldn't believe it for $75.

pg

solid roller 396ci LT1
Unread 05-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Rcher

Finished the job, whoo hoo!!!

Here are my observations and tips:

1. If you don't have a lift and your driveshaft is more or less straight from the tranfer case to the diff, then it may be okay for your driveshaft to fit fairly tight. I had a BB and wasn't comfortable with the amount of play I had so I ground off 3/8" from the transfer output shaft and 3/8" from the yoke slip spline. I'm happy with the movement I have now. Tried it out off road and looks good so far.

2. Couldn't find a dust boot anywhere online. So I zip tied a bicycle inner tube on. Looks good so far.

3. Couldn't get my shift indicator lights to work right. Eventually found out that the shift switch was busted and swapped the switch from the 249 and it works fine.

For future reference, behind the VIC on '98 ZJ, you unplug the red plugs and plug together the black plugs.

Then all of your indicator lights will work except the "LO" light. OK, one light out of 10 ain't bad and I can live with it. But the wheel lights work and all the rest works just when you shift into 4LO, all you get is "PARTTIME".
Unread 05-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
Dr. Righteous
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Holy P
I did a 247 to 242 swap...and the driveshaft was a real tight fit. I need to get it shortened prolly about 1/2 to 3/4". Haven't done it yet and no problems so far. Just not going to get too agressive off road yet till it's done. Plus I still need tires. As far as the linkage goes...on my '99 WJ there are two holes on the bracket mounted to the trans mission where the shift linkage cable can be installed. I moved mine to the opposite hole and it worked. I've put about 2k miles on it since the swap and I'm running Dextron III in the TC. Fun in the rain or loose gravel....can you say fish-tail?

pg

Hey, glad you finally got that NP242 installed! It seemed to be in great accept for the hole in the case .
I gave my '95 ZJ to my wife and bought a '94 4.0L ZJ with a NP242 factory. BUT, I have a NP242 that I was going to install in the '95 but never got around to it. IF the CV in the NP249 ever goes out I will swap it then. But believe me. My wife needs AWD.
Dr. Righteous is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.