np249 to np231 swap rear driveshaft ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > np249 to np231 swap rear driveshaft ?

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
wiggy699

np249 to np231 swap rear driveshaft ?

Alright i have a 95 zj 5.2L that i swapped a 2000? i think 99 build date np231 transfer case into. Swapped the input shafts and all the supporting stuff that has to be done to make it work. I had a internal slip yoke on the 249 TC and now the np231 is a external slip yoke design. My driveshaft is too long does anybody know right off what driveshaft i need. I measured weld to weld on the drive shaft itself and it is 27.75". I have a buddy that has tons of zj parts and out of the driveshafts he has none are shorter than that. what length do i need to make it work it is at stock ride height. Thanks

wiggy699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
danlanphear
1983 CJ7 

Here's a chart with part numbers and lengths of stock zj rear shafts. Perhaps one will work out for you. Obviously, you may have to look up the lengths of the part numbers shown that don't list the lengths.

That said, however, I searched high and low to find the longest one (30.75") for my own jeep, and found it was actually about 7/8 inch shorter than the listing says. It still worked.

I guess everybody says their shaft is longer than it really is, even mopar.
jeep_rear_shaft.jpg  
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Never found one that worked for either of my 231 swaps, so modified the stock ones.

grinder, welder, saw, and a hammer and you can shorten yours too.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
wiggy699

Underpowered did you have any issues at highway speeds with the shaft being out of balance? Causing vibration? I am more than capable of fabbing it up myself just was worried about vibes. Thanks for the feedback
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
osuguy81
1995 ZJ 

I also have a 95 ZJ 5.2l and I did the same swap. My stock drive-shaft was to long also, I went back to the salvage yard and got the rear shaft that was connected to the np231 that I pulled for the swap from an XJ. It went right on. I felt like it was a little short but I drove the jeep that way for over a year until my dana 35 in the rear started making noise and I swapped in a 44a. The 44a has a longer tail housing so that shortened the length to the transfer case again. After that I went and had my original drive shaft cut shortened and rebalanced.

A rear shaft from an XJ will probably work just fine at stock height I had a BB lift on mine when I did the swap, or you can just have a drive shaft shop cut yours down a bit and re-balance it for around $100.
Unread 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy699 View Post
Underpowered did you have any issues at highway speeds with the shaft being out of balance? Causing vibration? I am more than capable of fabbing it up myself just was worried about vibes. Thanks for the feedback
Nope, DD mine every day without issue.

avoid cutting any factory weights off and get a good even weld on it.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
wiggy699

Shortened the shaft tonight, no driveline vibes that I notice. Just ground the weld down on the axle end of the drive shaft until it was almost through and beat the tapered yolk out with a hammer. Cut off 1.5 inch and eyeballs and measured best I could and welded her back up. Thanks for the help

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.