NP242J no reverse in 4x4 low - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NP242J no reverse in 4x4 low

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
saylor

NP242J no reverse in 4x4 low

Im not too familiar with the 242's. Im a 231 guy. For some reason, my 4Low only works in forward, but no such luck in reverse. I went under and adjusted my linkage, but still no luck. I went to put it in 4High Part time to try reverse but still no luck. I put it in 4High full time and got it to go in reverse. Ive read in forums theres something that has to do with a Center Diff. Im mechanically inclined, so if someone could enlighten me on how to diagnose/fix this issue, I'd certainly appriciate it!

Thanks,
Saylor

saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The case is exactly the same as a 231 in high sand low range. Nothing about going backward is different than forward
Check your transmission mount, it may be bad pulling the linkage and case out of gear in reverse.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
saylor

Everything looks good With the mounts. I noticed that while in 4H/L it kept popping in and out. id stop, put it in neutral or switch from 4H to 4L and it would do fine again. Linkage issue?
saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor View Post
Everything looks good With the mounts. I noticed that while in 4H/L it kept popping in and out. id stop, put it in neutral or switch from 4H to 4L and it would do fine again. Linkage issue?
Normally adjustment or transmission mount. Sounds like mount though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.