NP242 Full Time 4WD feels like Part Time - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NP242 Full Time 4WD feels like Part Time

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 09-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJfamilyfun View Post
....As for full time feeling like part time, i would suggest shaking down the front end and checking tire pressure..
I will have to check the tire pressure, I have read that a couple of times now, but I am wondering why because others say it does not matter. I am not sure what you mean by shaking down the front end. Thanks! - Jeremy

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Make sure ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, pitman arm, cv's and such are all tight. Loose steering componates can cause a binding feel as if its in part time. I got a wasted cv and in full time on turns even slight it will feel like part time. But mine is accompanied with a click/popping noise.
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJfamilyfun View Post
Make sure ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, pitman arm, cv's and such are all tight. Loose steering componates can cause a binding feel as if its in part time...
I just checked my tire pressure and all is good. This is more than just a slight bind, If I am in a parking lot making a tight corner into a spot, it binds so hard the jeep will not move an inch. I have to shift the transmission to N, then the transfer case into N, then it makes a pressure release pop (I can feel the pressure release) and I put it back to FT before I can get it to move again. (if I try to put it in 2WD it stays in 4WD and binds again, it take a little more work to get it to go into 2WD) If I am going faster like a right hand turn the front will jump instead of stop moving. That is when it is in FT, I am wondering if it is possible the differential is locked up in the TC. I have it in 2WD now, when I get a chance I am going to lift it off the ground, check the front end and test all the modes. - Jeremy
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

have you tried adjusting the linkage yet?
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
have you tried adjusting the linkage yet?
Yes, this is what I have found out so far. I put it on stands so all four wheels where a inch or two off the ground. I checked the linkage, looks good and there is nothing blocking 2WD and pressing the lever all the way down pushes the lever on the TC as far as it can go (I checked that manualy and moved the arm on the TC with a wrench to make sure it was in the indent for 2WD) I also checked the tire pressure and all four where within 2lb of each other and the front end looked tight and good.
First 2WD and the back spun only. Pulled emergency brake, wheels stopped, released brake
Put in PT 4WD, all four spun, Pulled emergency brake, wheels stopped, released brake
Put in FT 4WD, all four spun, Pulled emergency brake, wheels stopped, released brake (it stayed in PT)
Put in N and made sure it was in N, no wheels turned. (also tried LO 4WD, worked fine)
Put in FT 4WD, all four spun, Pulled emergency brake, back wheels stopped, front stayed spinning (and the TC whined more), released brake all four spun. FT worked
Put in PT 4WD, all four spun, Pulled emergency brake, wheels stopped, released brake
Put in 2WD, all four spun, Pulled emergency brake, wheels stopped, released brake (did not switch to 2WD. Still in PT 4WD)
Put transmission in N, waited 4 seconds, then back to D
Then back spun only, it was back in 2WD,
Put transmission in N, waited 4 seconds, Put in FT 4WD, then back to D, all four spun, Pulled emergency brake, back wheels stopped, front stayed spinning, released brake all four spun. FT worked
Put transmission in N, waited 4 seconds, Put in 2WD, then back to D, rear spun only, Pulled emergency brake, back wheels stopped, back in 2WD

Other than whining more when it is in 4WD, there are no other noises like clinking or popping (and I moved the steering to see to) so the U-Joints look good, I was told they where replaced not too long ago.

I tried playing around and found it would shift almost every time if I put the transmission in N before shifting to another mode then put the transmission back to D. (except N or LO, I would grind the gears (or dogs) if the wheels where still turning a little or I forgot to put the transmisstion to N). So I know it is working pretty much to what everyone is saying, but when I drive it, its not shifting that way. I do not have the time to road test it tonight, but it may be just something I will have to practice and with some trial and error and see what works. I need to lift the front and confirm its in FT and do a test drive to see how much it binds, if any, and go from there. (Maybe tomorrow) Thanks for all the suggestions! - Jeremy
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

when shifting it, you should have the transmission in neutral. that will help the gears to not bind/grind. also when you shift it, you really have to slam the shifter. you cant just gently push or pull it like you would the transmission shifter.

i ended up having to adjust my linkage slightly out of the "normal" adjustment i guess you could say, in order to be able to get back into 2wd after being in 4x4. the way i have it adjusted makes it a little harder to get into 4lo, but ive never had a need to use it, so im not really worried about it at this point.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
when shifting it, you should have the transmission in neutral. that will help the gears to not bind/grind. also when you shift it, you really have to slam the shifter. you cant just gently push or pull it like you would the transmission shifter.

i ended up having to adjust my linkage slightly out of the "normal" adjustment i guess you could say, in order to be able to get back into 2wd after being in 4x4. the way i have it adjusted makes it a little harder to get into 4lo, but ive never had a need to use it, so im not really worried about it at this point.
I will have to drive around and try different things to see what works, but I also adjusted the lever earlier a little like you described. I will have to try different situations and see if it will shift correctly if I put the transmission in N. I thought I tried that already and it did not work, but I will have to try again. Maybe I just thought I did. I have tried to shift both fast and slow, but I do not remember if I had the transmission in N or not. - Jeremy
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Both of the 242's I've had were a complete PITA. My personal opinion, if you want 2WD, stick a 231 in. If you want AWD, put a 249 back.

The 242 is a miserable compromise between two very good transfer cases - the 231 and 249.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Small update, after playing around with it, it still will get sutck in 4WD PT, Even if I have it in 2WD or FT. In order to free it I have to lift the back off the ground. Sometimes it shifts fine, but I noticed if I put it in PT and then try to put it somewhere else it never shifts. It seems like it binds too hard to shift. Even after going to N then putting it in 2WD it says in PT. (As I mentioned, I have to jack the back off the ground to get it to shift when it gets that way) I have checked the tire pressure and all the tires are the same. I assume there is nothing but makeing sure I do not accidently go into PT on pavement or shift out of PT before I leave the shippery road conditions.
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Are you sure your front and rear axle are same ratio? I havent looked for once, and got 3.73 in back and 3.55 in front, quite a cockup. It was driving real funny in 4PT.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

go underneath and see if you can manually shift the transfer case into 2wd. if not, there is probably something wrong with the transfer case internally.
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

I know yall think I'm crazy from the reaction from my previous post, but I swear my Jeep used to do this every time I shifted into anything other than 2wd and then tried to shift back. It would still be locked in for several yards binding every time you turned no matter what method you tried when you shifted the handle back in to 2wd. I had different brand tires and tread depths front and back. After I mounted a new set of the same tires, same size, front and back I have never had this issue again. Maybe coincidence? Sure that's probable but I have my own opinion. Even though the 242 is not always a full time 4wd transfer case, it does still have a differential gear assembly internal to it that reacts to slippage, that is how you have part time 4wd
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

You're supposed to be moving (barely, like 5 mph or less) when shifting into 4lo
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
Are you sure your front and rear axle are same ratio? I havent looked for once, and got 3.73 in back and 3.55 in front, quite a cockup. It was driving real funny in 4PT.
No idea because it is stock, but I assume so. I have been told from others that the ratio is different front and back for most 4WD trucks, but I have no idea why. I'm sure that is why it will bind in 4PT, but if I accidently put it in PT on pavement and try to correct it, it will not correct because it is bound. Even shifting the TC to N does not solve it. I end up lifting one end up to release the bind. - Jeremy
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
go underneath and see if you can manually shift the transfer case into 2wd. if not, there is probably something wrong with the transfer case internally.
It (the lever) goes into 2WD, but since I have been told the internals are spring loaded, that does not mean it is internaly in 2WD. I am guessing because of the front and back is binding, until that bind is released it will not fully shift. - Jeremy

Tags
transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.